we should be able to judge people on their looks because its instinct that applies to all animals including us?

Looks can be deceiving. A person who dresses up like a rich man may be a con man instead. Nature is also full of deception. Lots of animals have big eyespots on their bodies to make them look like large animals to deter predators. Lots of animals look like their backgrounds so they can blend in and are difficult to distinguish from their surroundings. Scientists call this camouflage. Male lions have manes because the manes make them look bigger and help them defend their territory.  Many flowers look like female insects to lure male insects looking for mates to help them spread their pollen and fertilize their flowers.So while it is true that we evolved to ability to judge others based on their appearances, others have also evolved to ability to fool us using fake appearances. It is an evolutionary arms race.

We can. We do. Intelligent people use other factors as well.

• D g

What you say sounds stupid so is that fair for me to judge you an idiot 

It's not so fun when it's applied to you

I don't like your looks.  My judgment is very harsh.

• .

I try not to judge people by how they look and, I believe I don't let myself down on that score. Even a dirty filthy smelly old tramp I try not to judge him, door way sleepers, I just ignore them never in a judgmental way. I'm trying to connect human being looking with animal looking and failing, I'll give it more thought. 

.

Maybe you slightly ahead of me on that bro, that's cool.;-)

There are plenty of animals that don't judge people on their looks.  Marine copepods, for example, probably aren't able to tell quite what they're looking at when they see a person.

But, yes, we can and do judge people based on looks.  What makes you think we don't?

• JimZ

We make lots of judgements on people due to their looks.  We are really good, for example, at seeing emotions in their gestures.  We pick up clothing and hair for clues on their likes, style etc.  We have certain biases for what look good and what look scary, mean, etc.  You have to be careful with judging people on their looks because everyone has a bad days from time to time and some people are really good at fooling others.  

That would have been pretty rough on the Elephant man ....get the point ??

• Peggykat8 months agoReport

but then you cant stop thinking about them so you go on yahoo answers to try to distract yourself but you keep finding yourself mentioning the interaction in every answer?

You can judge people on their looks. Just as I am judging you on your comment. 

• Peggykat8 months agoReport

sweet! thanks heaps for the help

• Bob

Of course, whose stopping you ?