Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsCell Phones & Plans · 1 month ago

Are more people switching from smart phones back to basic cell phones?

I've had a smart phone for 6 years and I have an upgrade coming up in a month. I really want to go back to a basic cell phone because I'm starting to see what's going on with society.

Every time I go out everyone is glued to their cell phones. We're all robots and no one cares. I'm getting older now and I see social media for what it is and it's not a good thing.

Facebook is the High School cafeteria. Instagram is full of narcissists - people thinking they're models - the "look at me" show i call it and Twitter is stealing your thoughts a way. Social media in general caused problems in all my friendships, relationships, etc.

I love nature and just want to go back to living in the moment and having more privacy.

I've read a lot of articles on people who've went without smart phones or even cell phones in general and they're so much more happier.

It's going to be hard, but I just want to go back to a basic cell with texting and back to using just the PC.

Does anyone else feel this way? I've heard a lot of people are switching back because everyone knows our privacy is being violated.

Cellular providers make more money selling smartphones than basic phones.  Today's smartphones are more powerful than desktop computers were back in the 90's.  There will always be a few people like you and my parents who don't think they need a smartphone.  Every cellular provider has a store full of phones so you can pick whatever you think is best for you.

• Zheia

I've never had a smartphone, and I agree that everyone is glued to theirs - eyes always down and not looking around at what is going on. In the US a lot of basic cell phones have 4G connectivity, so you can still access the internet but not as much as a smartphone. And basic phones are good for looking things up but not suitable for big data use such as movie streaming.

My concerns are that the technology has been exploited to the extent that privacy is being violated, there is surveillance, and the gig economy. But if everyone switched off their phones even for a week, the economy as it stands will crumble.

In the UK there is a new Nokia 2720 flip phone which has 4G connectivity which I bought last month to replace a 2G/EDGE flip phone, and it suits me perfectly. It is not addictive like a smart phone, but enough to get information if I need it. I only pay £1 a week on PAYG.

I prefer to enjoy nature, the sea, sunsets. 

Yeah, it’s hard to believe that when I was growing up we still had corded phones with rotary dials. When push button corded phones came out it seemed really high tech. No computers. No nothing. Just a more relaxed, less complicated lifestyle where you interacted with people face to face more.  Played cards, miniature golf, read books, went to movies, etc, to pass the time. Or sat around bonfires on the beach during the summer with your friends. Just talking, maybe somebody would have a guitar. Things like that.Seems so laid back (boring?) compared to now but in fact it was really kind of nice. Peaceful. Meditative, in a way. Just ‘being’. There’s a good amount of scientific evidence that cellphones are a significant contributing factor in the anxiety disorders so prevalent today. 

excellent music player and its camera is still nice too

I have a smart phone and I rarely use it when I go outside. You do have the power to switch it off.

No, not that I know of.

Some are, but it's probably a futile trend because smartphones are so useful.  Maybe just upgrade your mind from sheep to human?

What I do sometimes is take my old Nokia N95 ,with PYG SIM, and leave the smartphone home. You need to be a masochist to even want to do the Internet or games on that. But it has an excellent music player and its camera is still nice too!

I have no statistics on mobile phone use. However, my smart phone seems to have finally bitten the dust, and I am certainly looking into just getting a regular cell phone to replace it. Rather tired of odd dysfunctions, screen dialing headaches,and paying data rates for services I never use on the street anyway, and bulky size problems.

I haven't seen anyone do that.

The main problem I see with your idea is that

no matter how much YOU improve, no one else is likely to follow suit.