how much time could you get for contempt court ? for not taking the stand against someone?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

but the suspect saying they told me what happened and I dont remember and I told them that , this happened almost five yrs ago and they now coming to me asking me question trying to make me lie nd say I know when I wasn't there its just some he say stuff

• crystal3 weeks agoReport

and I cant afford a lawyer ,and dont have any family support nor help ....I dont know what to do......

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

They can make you testify. If they have evidence you lie under oath when you testify they can keep you much much longer. Every time you refuse to testify is a new charge.

• 3 weeks ago

It is usually 30 to 60 days PER OFFENSE. Every time you are hauled back into court and refuse to cooperate, you are charged with a new offense.

• 3 weeks ago

Here's how that works. They lock you up until you are ready to do your civic duty - be a witness and tell the truth. The record I know of is 18 months. Some woman sat in jail refusing to testify. She was stubborn. Finally, after 18 months, she was ready to come out and testify, and she did. Of course, that 18 months is just one case. Some people - cases I never heard of - people might have been in jail for longer, and there are shorter times. They won't let you out until you agree to testify. Why wouldn't you testify to the truth, about what you know or what you saw?

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

i would ask your lawyer this question

• blank
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

According to the "almighty Googles" "The maximum sentence for contempt of court is two years in prison, but it can also be punished with an unlimited fine"

In theory tho - you stay in jail as long as the judge sees fit to hold you there.

• 3 weeks ago

I guess 6 months. Just a guess. One guy sat in jail for over 14 years!

• 3 weeks ago

Depends on the state, the court, the judge, and the seriousness of the case, none of which you mention. You want we should guess?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.