Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentFood Service · 4 weeks ago

Should I comfort my manager about these hours he’s giving me? ?

So i am in high school working at a fast food restaurant and my manager schedules me for 3 hour shifts and it’s during the most busiest hours. . I get about 13 hours a week.  

That is "normal" while you are still in High School.  You are going to have to demonstrate your ability to do your job well without letting your grades fall.  You only get so many hours in a day and if you are required to be in school 8am to 3:30pm then you have to consider how many hours you can handle at work and still complete your daily assignments.  

• tabdor

Yes, you should say "There there, everything will be just fine."

You want the easier shifts...but they don't need you for those shifts...

Welcome to the real world kid!

It could be that you are in the beginning phases of your job and they want you to earn your increased hours before being handed increased ones, this tends to happen in every business. It could also be that the business is struggling financially, and usually what happens is everyone's hours gets slashed across the boards, this is done to save money and to make sure the place is run more effiectley.

Also what really can your manager do? I mean you are in school Monday to Friday, so that limits you working the day shift(s), which leaves you the night shifts, which you are scheduled on. I don't know if your place is open during the weekends or not, so I can't comment on that.

You're a teen in high school and your available hours are after school. It's not your manager's fault that your available hours are during the working people's dinner time. What did you expect? If you don't like your hours, then quit.

comfort (sic) ? ABSOLUTELY. Everybody needs kindness. {Stay in school.}

Comfort? You must mean confront. You can ask for more hours but his needs are more important than your wants.

There is absolutely zero reason to "confront" your boss.

Your boss determines the work schedule. When you are there, you are there to work.

?????

• Eva

Confront about what? Do you want more hours? Less? "Easier" shifts? You really don't have anything to complain about. As a high school student, they can only schedule you during certain hours. The hours you are available and can work happen to be the busier ones.