Can I lose My Pell grants forever ?

I dropped out of school a little early for health reasons and owed the school grant money .now they have sent me to a collection and I’m scared that I could lose eligibility forever .im having trouble finding a job right now and I don’t know anyone that would loan me the money. Can I lose eligibility forever does anyone know how long I have until they cut me off forever it’s already been 4 months 

• nancy

You will not lose your eligibilty forever. If you have a Pell overpayment (i.e. you owe money back to the federal government), your eligibilty for aid will be restored once you repay the funds. If you owe the school itself, then that would not affect your eligibility for Pell grants. You might not be able to be readmitted to your school until you clear up the debt, but you should be able to receive aid elsewhere. However, it might be difficult to be admitted elsewhere, because when you transfer, the new school is probably going to want your transcript from the old school, and most schools won't release a transcript if you still owe them money. So, the short answer is that, no, you won't lose your eligibility for a Pell grant forever, but you might not be able to access it until you clear up the debt.

You cannot totally lose Pell Grant eligibility until you have a Bachelor's degree. If you owe Pell Grant overpayment funds, or default on a student loan, you would lose eligibility for Federal Aid until you take care of your debt. If you were dismissed from school because you failed to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress, you may have some difficulty transferring to a new school. If you merely owe the SCHOOL money, they will not provide you with a transcript until you pay them - NO impact on your financial aid eligibility.