What do you suggest I do? ?

So my parents are getting divorced and it just so happens that I’m in my last year of college. They agreed to live together until I graduate next year. Because they said the second I graduate we are selling our house and leaving and going our separate ways. My dad is buying a house with his new girlfriend so her family and me and my dad can all live together. 

But I’m unsure of what I should do as far as my academics. I’m an accounting major who always wanted to become a CPA, but i would need to take a couple more years worth of classes so I can get the CPA. But my parents can’t stand one another and I don’t want them to stay here any longer than they have to. 

Should I just finish school with a bachelors in accounting and go for the CPA at a later time? Or should I take a gamble now? Please help only serious answers please 

10 Answers

  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

    it is time for you to be an adult and to make the hard decision to go to work for yourself and to earn your own way in life. your parents have paid for you, now why continue to 'suck them dry", when they have their own problems.

    you are a burden to everyone. try standing on your own two-feet like an adult.

  • 4 weeks ago

    A close friend of mine graduated with his BS in Accounting, got a very good job first time out of the gate, and studied for his CPA while working (signed up for a CPA course at a local college). He took the exam two years into his accounting career; it's intense, but he was prepared. He also decided to stay with the firm he was with, because, they are naturally supportive of their accountants being a CPA. His position was elevated immediately, including his salary; soon, he was made partner. You can live anywhere while you're working, including in a place of your own. So, what's the rush? Get some job experience--and you will, with your foot in the door of a company that encourages your certification. You're on your way! Best of luck!

  • 1 month ago

    Your options seem pretty clear 1. See if your parents are willing to pay or help pay for graduate school. 2. Get your BA then get a job and pay for your own graduate school. It is not clear what taking "a gamble now" means.

  • Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Move out into your own dorm or apartment.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

    You're not asking the right questions. Are your parents willing to support you and pay tuition for the additional year/s of study? Do you WANT to live with your father, his girlfriend and her family? Do you like those people? Will you be able to study with them in the house? Wouldn't you prefer to live in your own apartment (or share an apartment with a friend) and move on with your adult life? Can't you work full-time and go to school at night as thousands of grad students do? You need to discuss grad school with your parents and see if they are willing to pay for anything further. If not, then your decision is made: you get a job, get a place to live and pay for your own graduate degree.

  • 1 month ago

    You're an adult now, and need to take charge of YOUR life. And that's life without mommy & daddy now. Let them deal with their issues, and you move on. You're a senior in college, and they do not need to stay together "for my sake." You focus on school & finding a job to start upon graduation. Wherever the job turns out to be, you're going to be going there. There's enough competition for accounting jobs that you must manage a wide job search & go where the job is.

    You can take your additional courses at night, whether you do the 30 additional hours or go for a full master's degree, then CPA. In fact, if you want a master's degree (good idea), you should have some full-time work experience BEFORE you start pursuing graduate studies. IF you choose MBA instead of master's in accounting (or acctg & finance), with the glut of MBAs on so many markets, employers want proven performers - 3-5 yrs of post-bachelor's experience in progressively more responsible positions with recommendation of the employer as prospective managerial-executive talent - before going to grad school.

  • 1 month ago

    How about slowing down your goal and opting to work to afford your own place? It may take longer, but you’d be free from your parents drama.

  • 1 month ago

    The CPA requirement is an additional 30 credits: 150 total. That's only one additional year, not two.

    Is your mother planning to move out of state as well? If not, why do you have to move in with your dad? Just stay with your mom. If she ends up living too far from campus and/or her place is really small, get a dorm room so you only stay with her during semester breaks.

    Or just get an apartment (a visit to the financial aid office is in order). Then it doesn't matter where your parents move (assuming you're over 19) for in-state tuition purposes. If you share the apartment with other students, though, try to get the lease in your name, as this will help prove your residence. Tell your parents to help out regarding co-signs (easier to do this before the divorce, which may wreck their credit as well). Guilt them into it, since putting the burden for their continuing unhappiness on you is really a dick move, in my opinion.

  • MS
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    You take care of yourself and do what's best for you. There's no reason they HAVE to live together until you are done with all of your schooling. They may be choosing to do that now, and maybe they'll continue to do that if you continue with school. But that's their decision to make. They are adults and will do what they need to do. You are trying to become a self-supporting adult, so you need to do what you need to do.

  • 1 month ago

    Why can’t you get your cpa when they’re divorced. Why can’t you continue your education in the city that your dad lives or be an out of state student.

    • ibu guru
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

      With the glut of accounting, business, etc, degrees, employers increasingly seek proven performers - post-bachelor's experience before going on to grad school.. They are not keen on grad students with no work experience.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.