Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 3 weeks ago

How can an older sibling or cousin moving away impact someone young (12 or under)?

Let’s say there’s a group of related kids. Oldest is 18, youngest are 9-12 years old. 

These kids are raised very closely, love each other, have a lot of fun, then one day the 18 year old moves away to college. He visits for holidays and summers, but that’s it. 

Psychologically and socially, how does this influence the younger siblings and/or cousins? Considering the older one has been their for them their whole lives and had a great influence on them, and is now suddenly moved away, how can this change an individual as they continue to grow and develop? 

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

It depends on the child and the family involved. Every child and family is different, but in a stable, loving home, the younger children will realize that this is healthy and just part of life.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

It teaches these kids that once one reaches adulthood different things are expected of them and often those things involve moving away. This is more common than not and it's not like you can shield children from reality forever.

• 3 weeks ago

they can still keep in touch with their sibling

• 3 weeks ago

It should not, as long as you have a stable home life. People move away and that is life and trying to make it sound bad is really selfish.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Linda
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

I can answer this one because I got married at 18 and moved out of the house. I had a younger sister at the time, 9 living at home. It caused her to change and she became sexually promiscuous at an early age and we grew apart over the years. If I hadn't set a poor example to my sister it might have turned out differently. That is in my case. It might not be like that for you as long as you try to be as much a part of your younger siblings life and call them and see them as often as you can.

• 3 weeks ago

In a huge variety of ways, from almost not at all to extreme.

• 3 weeks ago

It could make them feel that the people they look up to can just abandon them. So they may not rely on who they look up to much.

• Ben
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

The person being left will be forced to rely more on other people in the household or wherever.

• 3 weeks ago

As it is part of growing up, they will cope, some in different ways, but they WILL cope.

For many they will see it as simply "what you do when you grow up" Some may be sad and miss them, but, it is something that happens, its a natural progression.

They will see that person as someone living life, and being able to come back home for holidays and vacations as something exciting, something they too one day will do

• 3 weeks ago

They will probably throw a party and thank the lord they are gone

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.