Are SUV's and Minivans "safer" than Sedans?

lots of people are driving crossovers nowadays and a lot of people tell me that they don't want to go back to driving sedans because they don't feel safe in them.

They say when you're in a RAv 4 you have better visibility ahead if you are following a sedan and you can predict more things to happen.

They also said its better in snow since it has higher ground clearance, does way better in speed bumps, and potholes, and offers more of a comfortable ride not just for the passengers but also the driver.

Here I am stuck with a 2018 Civic EX. My co worker was telling me to just trade it in for a CRV but I am not sure cause I likee my car but she did convince me that crossovers are better.

I mean SUV's have horrible fuel economy compared to my Civic but they have way more features.

She was also saying that her Rav 4 has AWD which makes the car heavier so if its windy it will be hard for it to be blown away, and I remember on a Spring day it was windy and my Civic felt like it was gonna rollover and I was at a stop.

Best Answer

If safety was the biggest reason to choose a car we'd all be driving golf carts stuffed with bubble wrap. There is no car that's perfect for everyone, and if the one you've got was meeting your needs until your co-worker started flapping her gums about her glorified station wagon, then you're in fine shape. File the information away until you are ready to go car shopping again.

More than half of all transportation fatalities are from single vehicle crashes that do not involve a collision or difficulty seeing ahead.

Those crashes involve rollovers of SUVs and pickups that are less stable than any sedan.

• Kevin

look at the government crash test results. all cars are tested and given ratings based on multiple angles.

suvs tend to have better visibility because of their height. only way better in snow is if they are all wheel drive.

compare cost, fuel economy, insurance resale and reliability before you trade. your car and her rav4 both good vehicles. choice depends on the person.