JoshuaTV21 asked in SportsWrestling · 4 weeks ago

What was your reaction to Owen Hart falling to his death in 1999?

This question is for all the WWF fans that were watching the Over The Hedge Pay-Per-View at the time.

I know it must of been a shock, when you heard that he had fallen in the ring. But did any of you have any hope that he would've survived the fall?

• I Was Depressed I Loved His Tag Team With The British Bulldog!

Looking back at it now it’s amazing the WWE did not shut down for a few months after this . 1999 was ratings wise the biggest year in pro wrestling for the WWE. They kept moving along as if nothing happened . This was a horrible tragedy and will probably be the for a long time

• I was watching that Pay Per View and when The Cameras cut away from The Ring, we knew something was wrong. When you saw Jeff Jarrett and Debra McMichael break down and be overwhelmed with grief we knew something serious had happened. From the description of the Height and the angle, I figure his spinal cord was severed on impact with one of The Top Turnbuckles and he died quickly.

I thought vince did it or staged it because Owen broke stone cold neck.

Of course everyone at first thought it was fake.

Why would you hope he would fall and not make it? That is sick.

As a kid I despised Owen, since he was incredibly irritating (an effective heel, in retrospect). I remember my buddy and I high-fiving each other when JR made the announcement. When I realised it was real, I felt pretty fooking bad, but still ignorantly dismissed Owen as Bret Hart's second-rate little brother. While he never turned in the classic matches that Bret did (Owen had only two great matches - WITH Bret), I've developed an appreciation for "The Rocket" as an entertaining high-flyer with some sound technical skills to boot. RIP.

I was soooooo mad. I was watching on the network at my local Arby's. When this happened I was so upset I smashed my iPhone against the wall. Everyone in there got scared and called the cops. And then when Benoit fell off too I really lost it. I smashed the windows with the fire extinguisher and was later arrested. I got 2 years in juvie, but I got off early because of good behavior

i was there it was shocking i thought it was a dummy at first

I was watching the show on pay-per-view. They did not show him falling but I remember Jeff Jarrett was in a state of hysteria, crying and pacing and talking non-stop.

For the television viewing audience it was confusing. They said Owen Hart fell and then they kept saying they didn't know if he was going to be all right and that he was taken to the hospital. Jerry "the king" Lawler and Jim "JR" Ross looked stunned and somber. Eventually they announced Owen Hart was pronounced dead. But the show went on and because of that many of us wondered if this was some sort of storyline. I mean, they literally have a character known as "the Dead Man" ( Undertaker) and they have toyed with death before like when Mr McMahon was allegedly blown up in his limousine or the time Jake "the Snake" Roberts brought a cobra to the ring and it bit Randy "Macho Man" Savage who then pretended to die.

A lot of fans believed Owen would be "resurrected" the next day on Raw with a new gimmick. It was only Jeff Jarrett barely being able to hold it together that I was certain this was real. Still, you would think out of respect for Owen Hart, his entire family and the rest of the wrestlers and crew, all of whom were certainly shaken by this tragedy, you would think they would end the show. When they didn't and instead took on a cavalier, "the show must go on" attitude, it was confusing. Many people in the audience looked confused or stunned. Only a handful seemed to be enjoying the show.

I was glad I didn’t catch him.

It was highly unlikely he would have survived a fall that high and if he did he would never have been the same he would be handicap or a vegetable not a life anyone wants to live sad story and they have never done anything like that since.