d asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 3 weeks ago

Can my credit card debt disqualify me from getting hired at a financial company?

I have a good credit score (704) but I'm worried that my current revolving credit card debt (over $9,000) can disqualify me from getting hired at a financial company that I have a phone interview with tomorrow.

I have no missed payments (although I'm only paying the minimum on my two cards right now), no bankruptcies, marks, etc. I'm not sure exactly what the credit report will show (this is for a job in New Jersey) but if the debt shows up, can they disqualify me? This is for a web developer job and I'm not sure if it will require any access to financial records or data.

• Kyle
    Best Answer

the job you're applying for is not related to that specific industry. i think if you were applying for a financial adviser, and you have a lot of debt, it may have an impact. but because you're going for an IT job, i don't think it will.

if they don't ask about it. don't bring it up.

of course, lot's of people that graduated college may have debts in student loans, and can still get jobs. so keep that in mind.

There would be many more things to worry about than that. first the other 100 people applying may be better qualified. Disqualify is a harsh word ................. but there is no excuse for $9000.00 in debt and only paying the minimum, ME I would feel your judgement is poor and would overflow onto my business.... I stead of focus on that ,, decided what makes you the one over the other 100 applicants. HARD worker is not a good reason .... hard worker has to be proved not spoken.

I don't know but its not good working in finance because it deals with interest and interest is wrong.

• RICK

Yes it can

Will it, probably not at thst amount

They shouldn't care how much you're in debt.

Large debt could but maybe not $9000 and bad credit certainly could. Still, best not to carry any balance.

Yes you deadbeat lol.

• Judy

It's possible, but not for $9000

Yes, you can be denied a job because of bad credit in 39 states and the District of Columbia, while 11 states ban the practice in most cases. But all 11 states have exceptions, most of which concern being hired to jobs that involve finance or looking at credit late in the hiring process (such as after an interview).