Can I legally ask my boss how much a new fellow employee is making?

Can I legally ask my boss how much a new fellow employee is making? I'm about to ask for a raise and want to be sure I am getting what I deserve after three years of employment.

You can ask both but do not cry when you do not get a answer as they neither one has to tell you.

As a boss you ask me that question about another employee you would not get a reply and if it were time to get a raise based on your own merits it would now be a much lesser amount and I might even let you go.

I can think of no good reason this information should be made available to you since you are just another employee.

Since you have gotten no raise in 3 years there might be a good reason we are not aware of.

You can ask your employer anything. But, that does not mean s/he will answer.

If you have been working someplace for three years and have yet to get a raise, then for that reason alone, you should get a raise because that last I knew, prices are not going down, so a Cost Of Living raise may very well be in order.

When asking for a raise, you must think back to the work you did and use specific examples where you excelled in your job and what good consequences were gained. THINK about your performance record, that you are always on time, work extra hours for project deadlines and so forth, for example. Bring up times you trouble shot an issue or how you are good at team work, customer service or what have you?

Bringing up your accomplishments will help you get a raise. Let's say you want 50 cents more an hour. Shoot for a dollar more an hour and "settle" for less. Because, while you are giving reasons why you deserve a raise, your boss will be thinking of how little he wants to give you. Shoot high.

Try it This way: Is what you are now getting Comparable, at least, to what others with similar time, similar job, similar experience get? A Yes or No.

True, employer Can fire over just asking. But, it doesn't seem likely. If he does, you didn't need That job, anyway. 3 years should get you Some seniority. Some corporations, unions or civil service have strict firing rules.

Remember that often a new employee make get a higher starting wage than you due to COL or negotiation. In Civil Service, wages are non negotiable, and a starting employee in a certain job is a GS-number, so that number gets a posted wage.

There is no law saying that you can't ask. The boss doesn't have to tell you. And the boss can fire you for asking.

• Tom S

In most states (if not all) it is legal to ask a coworker how much he or she makes, it is the basis of collective bargaining. There is no requirement for anyone (boss or coworker) to answer though. Some companies will have policies against it, but those policies are illegal.

Oh you can legally ask but your boss is probably going to tell you none of your business what anybody else makes!

It is entirely legal to ask. It is generally considered rude, and often a violation of company policy.

If you think what you deserve is a function of what someone else is making, I suggest you are ALREADY overpaid.

• xyzzy

Think about what the word legally means. It means that no law has been passed that requires or forbids some action. As there is no law against you asking your boss such a question it is legal. Does he has to tell you? Of course not. Can you be fired just for asking? Of course.

He would be an idiot if he told you, and that is confidential information for the employee.