Anonymous

I had to put my job search on hold for a year ?

Since I finished graduate school I’ve been living with my sister. Where my sister lives the market for my field specifically is REALLY BAD. Ive been trying to land a job in my field in this area. Ive had to take 2 jobs one as a substitute teacher and one in a grocery store in the evenings. I did not job search for a year as I had no money at all to relocate and it seems now a days no companies want to even remotely help with relocation. I actually had to turn down 3 jobs because the cost to relocate would have put me in an astronomical amount of debt. (I was literally so broke I was pulling from my retirement fund.) 

I’ve worked over 60 hours per week for the past year to get money together so that when offered a job I have a cushion. I’m really scared now to apply for actual jobs in my field now after a year of not applying. I’m afraid it’s going to look really bad to employers that I haven’t been working on my field for the past year at all. Should I explain my situation on interviews?

i'd keep it brief if asked. i am in the same situation ontop of that i live in Hawaii the industry i majored in over here is pretty horrible. lots of jobs but they are mediocre as hell. the best place to get a job for me is the hotel industry but sadly thats where everyone wants to work due to the pay and benefits so yes it is extremely hard just to get into the hotel.

Find accommodation and work as long it is within your budget.

• n2mama

As opposed to not explaining your situation in interviews? If asked and given the opportunity, offer a brief explanation that doesn’t come across as a pity party story. You can simply say the market in your field in your area is poor and you were not prepared to relocate, but now you are.

you can always work in a resort, they'll pay you and give you room and board if you want to relocate

hello have you tried thinking about something else it was good of your sister to give you somewhere to live its ok to be scared when you approach an employer speak with them and explain your situation and tell them how you feel remember they had to start somewhere they understand with compassion and kindness keep going i believe you be ok and be on the right team soon good luck thank you

Sounds like you need a job, any job.

A whole year??!!! Jeez, you ain't serious!

you can relocate by working in resorts, i did that for yrs

And, your question is?

• Mirage

It makes sense you didn't search for a job away from where you are now cause you wanted to save up money, so if asked then just say that, but you're now ready it seems.