My roommate/brother won’t let me invite my own sister over?

My sister occasionally comes over to my apartment (once a month or so). My brother/roommate has now told me she is not allowed at our home. My brother and sister do not get along, but my sister causes no drama and doesn't even speak to him when she comes over.

He came to this conclusion because she came over last night and I guess he said hi to her and she didn’t respond to him?? She said she didn’t hear him but now he’s made a new rule that if she can’t say hello to him then that’s disrespectful and she can’t come over.

Can he legally refuse to let me have her over? I get along with her fine and would hate to stop having her over. I pay a third of the rent and I don’t think it’s fair that I can’t have a guest over.

This is simple. If he's paying 2/3 of the rent then he gets 2/3 of the say. Have Sis come over exactly 2/3 as often as you wish she could. Problem solved (except that your siblings need to make up because this is stupid).

• Gedia

So does he control your life, no ! He has a problem !

• Linda

Tell your brother you are paying rent and as long as it is not too often, you have a right to guests and he has no right setting rules on guests even if it is family. He can't legally do anything but he can make living there a living hell for you if you have sis there. As soon as you can, I'd get another place and let brother find a new roomie. He sounds argumentative and controlling.

how can htey stop you when it's your place? he can't do that.

You can invite whoever you like as you share a third of the rent. Just tell him this and too bad if he doesn't like it.

He's a d*ck and you can have whoever you want over. You pay rent too. Tell him to get over himself.

i would invite her anyways, its your place too

No, this isn't a legal issue. But it might be a "tenant" one. I put that in quotes because sometimes these things crop up if the living arrangement isn't equal. Why are you only paying 1/3 rent? If this is your bro's apartment (meaning he's on the lease) and he's letting you live there for a lesser amount, he does have more of a voice than you. It's his place.

I'm not defending him, because this sounds unfair and immature. But there has to be a way to compromise. Can your sister make sure she greets him when she comes over and he hears it? That's just basic politeness anyway. He's acting somewhat like a jerk, but if it's his place and he doesn't like your sister, she needs to take that into account when she stops by.

Right now it's push comes to shove, either you leave and live someplace you can invite your sister over any time or abide by his two thirds majority. Try taking him to court if you like you might get better results.

its your apt too, you should be able to invite her all you want