Motorcycle question? Travelling the globe on a Motorcycle? Which bike and why that particular bike?

Hi all

I've just come into some serious money and I am going to do something that I have wantedbto do my whole life.

I'm 43, no ties, plenty of money.

I'm going to travel the globe, only the parts I want to see, I won't be putting myself through hell either. 

If I don't want to see that city, that country, that desert, whatever, I won't be riding across it.

Now, for the question.. .. Which make and model bike to I buy and why? 

• DanRSN

I would say a shafter like beemer, although if the shaft breaks it's hard to get and fix a replacement. Belt drives like Harleys are even worse, you need serious kit just to get the back wheel off to fix punctures. Get a chain drive 850 or so. Buy a.service manual and make sure you know how to do certain things like tightening the chain, changing the oil and so on.

• Anon1 month agoReport

Rubbish. Lotsa shafters not just Bumw's. Harleys; easy to get wheel off. Belts last a Long time, Unless tension too tight/loose. Adjusting Just takes two large wrenches, a #50 Torx driver.

BMW. Super reliable, great brakes, light weight.

VFR800 is the best bike for your needs.

Honda is probably everywhere in the world. Don't get big or the latest model. Like a 6 cylinder. 1500cc.

. So maybe 5 years old and about 500cc.or so.  You are not out to impress the people you pass by for a second.  You want to go a far distance on minimal fuel. BMW bike shops are hard to find in some towns in N.A.,so that is going to be the same story worldwide.

Personally a bike is not the way I would go cuz it RAINS & gets windy and cold...and you can't sleep in your bike while Lions roam outside with the elephants...and vultures.

.   Maybe you got to buy a few bikes...like the common bike for that region?  Drive it through the region and trade it in for a bike with say square wheels because that is the common vehicle there.

But am thinking Honda has been everywhere. Harley and Beemers not so much.  Read a few motorcycle magazines to read about others who have done the same thing.

• Anon2 months agoReport

500 cc too small. Fatigue in 60 minutes at 60 MPH.

Craig,! I expect BMW to be most reliable , have good luck with everything please,

• Cap'n. America

And, he teaches Electronics., Should have checked voltage to coil, or put in another with beefier coil and contacts. Maybe a cap across the contacts, if inductive load. Or a HEXFET.

• Bear

Read Jupiter's Travels,by Ted Simon.

• Tim D

A Honda C90/C125 Super Cub if you want to see the world, no worries about getting parts or a mechanic, if it dies just replace it (it won't die). If you want to cross continents at speed get a BMW GS.

Royal Enfield made in India.

• Cap'n. America

A guy and his son went over 1500 miles and back on a Honda 350 in ZATAOMM. But, it's Still rather Small.

Try to stay away from Antarctica, fuel stations and Service Centers are sparse.

Watch 'Long Way Around', it shows some of the small hardships to be aware of depending on how you wish to travel. Fun Series!.

A few years ago did a New Zealand motorcycle tour for three months on a Suzuki V-Strom 650 (wish I'd chosen the 1000) and it did most everything I wanted. Good sized fuel tank, easy V-twin engine/suspension that can do a bit of off-roading and is fine on the highway.

You need to state the type of riding you wish to do- cruirsing the highway or a mix of on-road/off road.

Source(s): Rididing/racing for 55+ yrs.
    • Candid Chris

Hey CB- NZ was a great place to travel on a bike. Yeah, rode a 1000 (friend's bike) after I returned to the States but I LOVE my Trumph Tiger 955i too much

• Dimo

Depends.

Are you a new rider?

Are you comfortable with a heavy bike?

Are you good at packing light?

Will you be camping?

----

What I felt was perfect was my little Suzuki LS650. Had a bracket on a suitcase to slip on the sissybar.

Had tools and stuff in the saddlebags, and tent/sleeping bag if I needed it.

• Ian K

I know you love the LS650, but for worldwide touring, it would be at the bottom of my list.  I've ridden one on the freeway, it was fine... but once I hit dirt roads, it was a pain.