Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Would you let your drug addicted adult son/daughter move back in with you if they needed a place to stay?

Most wouldn't, but then again, most are selfish. I thought parents were supposed to have unconditional love. Of course I'd let my kid back in. My uncle died a few years ago and no one helped him. They even actually laughed at him every time he got arrested, so nothing anyone does anymore surprises me. I'd want my kid to change and so yes I'd take him or her back in with me in a minute in order to help make him or her better.

• Linda

No I would not because I would be saying by letting them move in that I endorse their lifestyle.

I would not. Again. My son got mixed up with the wrong crowd in his junior year of hs, then got his sheet together and went off to college. He flunked out of college bc he was partying and drinking instead of going to class. He claimed he wanted to sober up 3 different times and the first 2 we allowed him to move back home rent free and paid for his groceries. He was responsible, stayed sober, worked, kept his room and bathroom cleaned. Even helped out when I was mostly out of commission for 2 months following a surgery. The plan was to save up money to get a place of his own. The first time he did and everything was good. Until it wasn't. Second time we took pity on him when (we thought) he had hit rock bottom. The third time he evacuated our area during a hurricane and spent a week with hubby's sister. He convinced her and she convinced us to give him another shot. Sorry we did. Repeated everything almost exactly to the script the first 2 times. 

Bottom line is until addicts truly want help, the kind of help we can give them really isn't help at all. We just enable them to live another day to get back to their addiction. It is hard, I cried, I questioned myself, I felt like a failure as a parent, I was angry. Lots of emotions, and I am not normally an emotional person. He put us thru h3ll and now hubby and I are just numb. Best thing is tough love.

No.

Absolutely not.

They are ruled by their addiction and you won’t be helping them one bit.

But, you can arrange for a third party specialist care group to take them in. If you don’t know of one in your area, go to some local churches who have good connections with these groups.

As tough as it may sound, to let them back into your home would be even tougher on you. More often than not, they often revert back to drugs, lie, cheat ad even steal from you. Your life would undoubtedly become much worse should you allow them to do so. Good luck with your decision.

• Tara

If they agreed to take a daily drug test … held a full time job .. paid their way , etc.

depends what substance they're on and how bad it is. if they are recovering id 100% open the doors bc i can say that most drug addicted people need support/company as they recover bc they usually rely on drugs to control their feelings (ie depression, anxiety, loneliness, distant,)

definitely not,i would just send them to rehab

Much would depend on their history and how much they can be trusted at all. If they ship has sailed, NO. If they can be somewhat trusted, I would do so conditionally if they were in recovery. But if still actively using, no.

If they were in rehab, maybe.