The Salvation Army is closing my store so I am getting laid off. And your saying I can get unemployment? Because I pay taxes?

You probably can't get unemployment because your wages and an employee of a non-profit were not subject to unemployment. The fact that you pay taxes is irrelevant.

• Amy

You can get unemployment benefits if your employer paid for unemployment insurance.

Since the Salvation Army is a notorious tax cheat, I doubt that they did so.

Nothing to do with the taxes, other than they indicate you are a W2 employee. Yes, you can get unemployment if laid off.

I didn't say that.

You DO NOT qualify to collect unemployment.  As a business owner, you ought to know that.  Paying taxes have NOTHING to do with it.  Focus!!!

• STEVEN F

The person asking IS NOT a business owner.

• Lolly

You can get unemployment if you were laid off. It does not hurt to try, and it does not hurt to appeal if you get turned down.

• Judy

Yes assuming you've worked for at least 6 months or so. It will be a lot less than you make though, maybe about half, so get looking for a new job.

Employees do not pay unemployment tax, only employers do. Your employer paid this tax. If you were laid off AND you worked for long enough, you qualify. If you worked there for less than six months. you won't qualify.

All states vary in how they calculate a benefit but many use a sysytem similar to New York.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/collecting...

• Andy C

I'm not saying anything. You aren't, either, but you are typing.

Unemployment is paid by the employer. It has nothing to do with taxes.

NO. NO ONE gets unemployment 'because I pay taxes'.

However, it you lose your job because the store closes, it is by no fault of your own. That is the general requirement for unemployment eligibility. Based only on what you say here, you are probably eligible.