What is like to have stepsiblings that are significantly younger than you are?

• Kelly
    Best Answer

My dad's step brother was young enough to be his son, so they didn't really have anything in common while his step brother was growing up. My dad was more like his uncle and he's closer to my age so he's more like a cousin to me.

My grandma and this husband eventually divorced (and she was horrible to my dad's step brother) but he got along with the rest of us and he's still part of our family. He gets invited to all of our family events and we do his.

My mom has a half sister who is 21 years younger than her and she ended up raising her. They have the same mom, different dad's. Her sisters dad died when she was 5 and then my grandma died when she was 12, my parents raised her after that.

ive never had stepsiblings but it would probably depend on who they were

I was a built-in babysitter until I got to be 18 (I'm 8 years older than my brother, 11 years older than my step-brother), and that was about it. Now that we are all adults, we can talk about adult things, but back then, we had nothing in common. I'm going off to college, having relationships and all that, and he was 7, so...not much to relate to. I'm 35 now, he's 24 and has been through some things, so we can have a conversation, but that gap will always be there. He's still young, having fun, and I'm married and settled in to life. So now I can guide him.