Why would converting from a Low to High impedance increase my my input gain?

Hello! So recently I wanted to add an extra mic to my drumset, So I had to use an unbalanced 9mm jack input instead of the 8 xlr inputs my unit has...

I Was using an MB78 - (560 ohms) going through an adapter (50-50,000 ohms)

( Lo Z - Hi Z )

It seems like there wouldn't be any issue, but the signal was Peaking even with the gain knob turned all the way down. Apparently the opposite is supposed to happen in such conversions?

what gives? let me know if you need anymore information, the recording would generally work fine through the XLR inputs..

BECAUSE THE ADAPTER INSIDE CONTAINED A SMALL SIGNAL AMPLIFIER THAT CHANGING BOTH GAIN AND IMPEDANCE.

the adapter results in a large voltage gain. leave it out, the 560 Ω will drive the high impedance inputs fine, no need to match impedances for inputs. 

XLR is a type of connector, it tells me nothing about the inputs themselves. Ditto with 9 mm.