Anonymous

What's the point of online classes if you can cheat on every test?

Okay, maybe the point is not everyone has the time to commute to and sit through traditional classes at a brick and mortar school, but still, you can cheat on every test.

Maybe a lot of people cheat in traditional classes as well, but with online classes, there's no way for anyone to spot you doing it.

With tests for online classes, there's simply no way to know that the knowledge actually came from the student's mind. If they can look up all the answers with impunity, then if that's not a conflict of interest I don't know what is.

online classes are self help courses.and are

not very marketable.

• MS

Actually, a lot of online classes require that you have a proctor for an exam. You might be proctored in person or via webcam, and are often required to travel to a nearby location for your exam. And not all online courses utilize exams as their method of grading.

Just because you have access to the internet does not mean you are cheating on tests. The tests are accessible only during a restricted period of time and once you start the teat  the clock is ticking. The buttons become non-interactive, go dead. If you don't submit and save your answers. If your research skills  aren't that good, tough. Then there are Power Point presentations and often group projects as wells. Then there is the plagiarism software. You CAN self plagiarize, as ridiculous as that sounds. Try explaining that you reused something from another course at another online university. You may think you are getting away with cheating and then find you didn't cite a source and you fail an assignment because of it, not necessarily on a test. The teacher is well aware you have access to the internet. The teacher expects you to USE the internet.  If you cant think critically and logically, you may not do very well. 

BTW, I've walked away from TWO online masters degrees programs because they were the wrong degree programs for ME. I have 3 bachelors degrees and almost 2 masters of science degrees, but  no thesis for one of them. There was NO internet for my first 2 bachelors degrees from Tulane in 1975 and 1980. 

And that's one reason why online degrees are often looked down upon by employers. They don't know that you actually have the knowledge you claim to have.

• Daniel

It would have been kind of hard for me to cheat for my last online class.  All of my tests have to be proctored, either at a testing center or using an online monitoring service that uses the computer's microphone and camera to catch cheating.  

• Stella

I took a few online classes.

In some cases short quizzes could be completed from a home computer.

But in every case students were required to report to a supervised exam room for other tests.

If someone was from out of the area they could arrange to take the test at an exam center convenient for them.

• Ar

You pay for a piece of paper which might not be worth anything. They are a business overcharging you for it.

I'm not sure your premise is correct (every test), but I guess it's a problem. Those kinds of universities or colleges have been accredited for at least 20 years, and I believe accreditation would be withheld if widespread cheating was suspect. Someone always talks, for one thing. Some science or law courses require feet on the ground clinicals, and we can't pretend to go to those.