Anonymous

How do I convince my parents to let me go to Indiana U instead of Michigan State U?

Hello!

As I am in the middle of applying and getting accepted into colleges, I have narrowed my choices down to two: Indiana University Bloomington and Michigan State University.  As I am from Michigan, the cost of attendance and board is a lot cheaper (by $25,000) then attending Indiana.  I am trying to convince my parents to get me go out of state because Indiana has been my dream school since I was a sophomore and I don't want to follow the rest of my high school class to MSU. Their argument is that I would be getting the same education for 2x the price and a 6 hour drive. I have applied already for over 5 major scholarships but will not hear back until past the May 1st deadline. Please give me advice on how to convince my parents to let me leave the state for college.

• MS
    Best Answer

If it's their money being spent, then you likely can't offer much argument to change their minds.  I am surprised that you won't hear about scholarships until after May1.  I have found that most scholarship awards are made much earlier than that, but that might not be the case with certain private scholarships.  

I think you'll find that even if many of your classmates do head to MSU, you won't actually see that many of them.  It's a big campus, there are tons of different classes, and chances are slim that you'll regularly be running into people.  

The quality of education is generally the same at those two schools.  One might be better than the other in your chosen field, and if Indiana is significantly better then that might be an argument you could make for going there.  

• di

You get a full scholarship at the out-of-state school? If not, stay in-state.

Do what you want. Please. It is your future not theirs

Marijuana has been legalized for recreational use in Michigan. Indiana never will. Indiana is NOT progressive..never will be. Michigan has clear water rivers. Indianas rivers are too wet to plow and too polluted to drink. Maybe you might think about it a little more??g

• Laurie

Go to the school that will result in the least amount of DEBT.

Do you not have a counselor at your high school? I don't think you understand how financial aid works. Your parents fill out the FAFSA form- no matter where you're applying for school. Then the schools that accept you tell you what aid they will offer you. It may be that an out-of-state school will offer you more in financial aid, which will even out the difference. If that doesn't happen, go to MSU. Save your money for graduate school.

Don't worry about being with the people from your high school. MSU is huge. You may never see any of them.

What's your intended major & which is the more highly rated school in that field? It is only worth spending double the money if it is a far better rated school & heavily recruited by employers in your particular field.

• Lili

Unfortunately, it's their money, and if they don't want to shell out for far more than you'd pay to stay in-state, there's really nothing you can do.

The fact is that the two schools are ranked at about the same level on the "public Ivy" list, so you really would be getting just about the "same education". Bloomington happens to be my father's alma mater, so I'm familiar with it for that reason, but I am also a college professor who knows which universities are highly ranked and which are not. Neither Bloomington nor MSU is anywhere near the top of the "public Ivy" list, but neither is considered significantly better than the other.

The only argument I can offer is that living away from home, going out of state, is going to expand your horizons and probably your mind much more effectively than staying in state-and closer to home. I always do recommend that students go out of state if they can swing it financially, because I think they'll develop far more personal and intellectual independence if they do. This is likely to lead to greater success when it comes to getting into graduate/professional programs and doing well in them. Having taught both undergraduate and graduate students, I am confident saying that.

But again, it's their money, and the final decision is theirs. You really should have been discussing this with them intensively back when you were a sophomore and before you even applied, so that you didn't end up in a disappointing conflict like this.

• y

Have you heard about the student debt issue going on out there? This is one of the reasons why. Same education at half the price yet so many, want to pay that price. For some reason they don't seem to understand that at some point, they are going to pay. Seem to think they will get out and start at 6 digits, not going to happen. Everyone starts at the bottom and works their way up. That education, provided it is actually worth something, enables one to earn more over the long term, to reach greater heights. You still start on the bottom of the ladder.

Offer to pay for your education yourself. Problem solved.

If you have to have a "dream" school, why would you pick Indiana? That doesn't make any sense to somebody who attended a top ten university. Now, if you had applied to a good private school out-of-state, that might have made sense, since the tuition isn't based on residence.

Also, you could also apply to the University of Michigan to remove yourself from the rest of your high school class, if that's your mission.

• Lili

I should add that there are many large private universities with substantial aid money available. I don't know where you got the idea that private schools are all small colleges. I'm thinking of places like Northwestern University near Chicago, Boston University, and Syracuse in New York.