Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

My mom gets upset when I make the bathroom floor wet, is this normal?

So my mom hates it whenever the bathroom floor is wet . She wants me to dry off my whole body before I step out of the shower because she's scared that the tiles will get wet. We also have huge rug in the bathroom (don't ask me why, I know it's weird) and she doesn't want the rug to get wet either because then her socks will get wet.

When I do make the tiles or rug wet and she notices she'll start screaming in the bathroom (I mentally prepare myself at this point for the **** storm that's gonna come over me), run to my bedroom and then she screams at me. It makes me very upset and I try to dry off the tiles as best as I can after every shower.

One time she got mad at me when there was (and I quote my mother) a footprint sized spot of water on the floor.

Am I the bad kid for making the bathroom floor wet or is my mother just mentally insane?

Well ask her to buy another rug for her alone and problem solved if she continues yelling dont stop until she does it.

I think your mother is being unreasonable but if I were she I wouldn't want a mess either. Try putting a towel on your head and drying off before you get out of the shower or use a third towel to put on the floor then her complaint may turn into all the towels you use but give it a try.

You are not a bad kid, but you are making a bad choice if your mother gets upset with you for something you could easily do to prevent a wet floor. Just stay in the shower for a minute and dry yourself off, so you won't upset your mother so she wont upset you.

your mom shouldnt be screaming at you, that might be considered abuse,wonder what cps would say if you told them about it

• Alan H

If you know that it upsets her, why do you not simply d9 the sensible thing and dry yourself before getting out of the bath, as she asks!

No doubt, SHE is the one who has to clear up the mess

Neither, your Mom just made a mistake to not fully explain why she doesn't want you to get the floor wet. There are likely many reasons, some of which are really important, some not so much. For example when you get the rug wet you can cause the rug to get moldy which will make it smell bad and possibly irritate peoples allergies. And when you get the tile wet, it could possibly seep into the floor and leak beneath it, harming the structure of your home. If you understood all of this maybe you would make a better effort to not get the floor wet, but since you continue to do so your Mom just thinks you are being inconsiderate which makes anyone angry.

Your mom is 100% right here

It's a safety issue when someone walks on a tile floor (they tend to get extremely slippery), so, anyone who uses that bathroom runs the very serious risk of slipping on the tile floor and breaking bones, possibly breaking their head open.

She is not being unreasonable here- Clearly you are not doing a good job at drying the tiles, because its NOT a hard task to do, it takes 5 minutes at most, this is just you being lazy! Either dry off in the shower, or if you do dry off on the tile, then take the time and make sure the floor is 100% dry before you leave the bathroom.

• Rick

It's not about who's right or wrong and it's not about being bad either. It's just something she's asking you to do - but overreacting to when you don't. She can't stand having wet feet and I get this because I'm the same way. It's cold and uncomfortable. It's best to do what she wants and keep the peace than cause her to go a bit crazy.

Why don't you spread a bath towel right outside the shower so you can step on it when you get out? This will catch any water which drips off of your body. I can't stand walking on a wet bathroom floor, either.... which is why i use a towel on the floor.

A bit of water on the floor is not such a big deal in my opinion, but it's not really about being a "clean freak", or damage to the tiles, it's about courtesy for the next person to use the bathroom.  It's pretty annoying when you walk into the bathroom with stocking feet and you step into the last person's water.  It's really not so difficult putting down a bath mat.  Dry yourself off mostly in the shower and then step on the bath mat to dry yourself completely.  If you don't have a bath mat, just use a second towel to stand on.  It's not about being a clean freak, it's about being courteous to others.