Is getting into trouble with the law in Dubai for smaller matters even half as easy to get into as the media is portraying it to be?

I went to Dubai a few times years ago and it seemed very liberal compared to what I expected, infact nobody seemed intimidated of anything at all, and the law enforcement there seemed to be doing a really good job in what they do

yet, everyone is still hearing on the media about people being arrested in Dubai for smaller crimes like a kiss on the cheek etc in what Dubai is being portrayed to be a strict place

however, I dont think the concern is so much being arrested in Dubai as such as being put into a cell overnight and the police interview you at the station after taking your DNA samples (this can happen anywhere), I think is far more about being arbitrary arrested whilst being put on bail and then something gets twisted that you done something wrong that makes Dubai a strict place and landing people in real trouble

Am I correct on this?

Thank you for all answers

• Bruce

Nothing is ever as bad at the media portrays.

Their job is to entertain, not inform. And controversy is entertaining.

• Mandy

I never hear anything about Dubai.