About the fafsa do I have to accept the subsidized student loan to afford college? What if I dont want loans? Is this unfair?

Update:

Will I get more grants If decline need based loans

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Best Answer

Loans are an option, not mandatory.

• John1 month agoReport

If you were eligible, you would have been offered them in the first place.

• di
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Colleges have a "Cost of Attendance" which is comprised of direct charges (things paid to the school like tuition & fees, dorm & meal plans) and indirect costs (books, supplies), and average expenses for room & board (on campus or off campus estimates), transportation & personal expenses. Many students borrow money on top of grant and scholarship aid to cover their room, board, transportation & personal expenses. Many students accept grant and scholarship aid, and if that covers what the school is due, they either support themselves with jobs or have support provided by family.

• nancy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you don't want it, don't accept it--it is simply offered to you as way to help you pay for college, but you aren't required to take what is offered. If you can't afford college without the loan, then it's up to you to decide whether you want to take the loan or skip college. A college education is a purchase like any other. Would you think it was "unfair" that you want to buy a Ferrari, but can't afford to do it without taking a loan? Why would you think any different when it comes to college?

• 1 month ago

you could try to see if you can get grants or scholarships

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

You do not have to file for a FASFA or accept government money or college loans if you don't want to the money's available they will try to get you to use it but you don't have to do it.

• Rick
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

I went to college & Uncle Sam paid, so you can too ........................

• 1 month ago

If you don't need it, there is no enforceable law requiring you to take out a loan. In fact, you'd be better off NOT getting caught in that trap.

• John1 month agoReport

If you don't want loans, then you have two options. You can take the loans anyway, or you can find a way to come up with tens of thousands of dollars on your own, without help from the government. If you were eligible for grants you would have been offered grants.

• Jim
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You can pay for college any way you want.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.