Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentFood Service · 1 month ago

Is my boss being unreasonable? ?

I currently work as a dishwasher for a semi busy restaurant. I always am scheduled to start either when the restaurant opens or 30 minutes after. When I arrive the kitchen is already absolutely slammed with dishes from the line cooks and prep cooks. I have tried coming in early but the boss gets mad because he says he can't afford for me to come in early. When I come in on time I do eventually catch up and keep up with the dishes. On really busy days, mainly the weekends, I tend to get pretty behind because of the really busy work crowds. I also don't have a dishwasher that functions very well. I don't have the industrial dishwasher that you push through on a conveyer belt, it's more of a home dishwasher. Also, it tends to only be me who is doing dishes. Oftentimes when closing, all of the line cooks and prep cooks throw me all their dishes in the sink and go home. I have to work about an hour or two after my shift and get into overtime to finish up. I then have to mop the floors and the floors have this anti slip texture on them that literally cake in dirt and make it nearly impossible to mop well. Whenever I work overtime and come in the next day, my boss scolds me saying he can't afford for me to work that much overtime. Am I in the wrong for getting irritated? 

I think we need to address the issues here

1) You having a pile of dishes when you arrive

2) The boss not wanting you to come in before your shift starts

3) Getting behind on weekends when its busy

4) Not having a dishwasher that works properly

5) Cooks giving you their dishes and leaving

6) Manager being angry that you work extra hours at close

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Most food prep is done in the morning before the lunch shift, it is reasonable and expectable for there to be a pile of dishes at the beginning/early on during your shift. This is part of your job as a dishwasher, and you need to be understanding and aware of how a resturant works, the cooks/preps want to get the food ready for when the lunch rush start (11-12pm), keep in mind it takes a few hours to get all that food ready, hence there being dishes.

2) I have to side with your boss on issue #2 here! A company doesn't want to shell out more money than need be, and this is even more accurate if a company is struggling to make ends meet. I work as a dishwasher too, and per company polices we are not allowed to be in the back until 15 minutes before the shift starts, otherwise we get issued a warning/write up by management.

3) This is an issue your going to learn how to better deal with, sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's reality! Maybe try to come up with a routine at work that you can get into that helps you work more efficiently, my best advice would tackle the small things first, to avoid getting "behind the game", in the resturant industry you always want to either keep pace, or to be ahead of things.

4) This issue is beyond your control, the company clearly has a ineffective dishwasher that's clearly out of date for todays industry, and I totally get how it would slow you down. My advice would be calmly and without judgement let them know that the dishwasher is slow/aged and is causing you to not be able to do the job to the best of your abilities. Once you put this at their attention, its up to them to either a) get a new machine or b) keep the one they have in place.

5) Again, this speaks to my original point, and that is, its' your job as a diswasher to clean the dishes at the end of the night, it's not the cooks responsibility to stay after their shift to help you clean everything, just as its not your duty to go in the kitchen and help them cook meals if they are behind. I totally get it though, at the end of your shift your exhausted and the last thing you want to deal with is a mountain of dishes, I can relate, I have to do that 5 days a week/52 weeks a year.

6) I think this issue comes down to you not being organized, and not being on top of things, hence why things pile up and why you have to stay later than normal. I really think the onus lies on you to figure out a system/routine that works for you, that allows you to get things done on time, without having to stay overtime and without angering your manager.

Dishwashing is both a fun and gruelling position all at the same time, it's NOT for everyone though, and if you feel you can't handle it, then you need to find another job better suited to your skill-set, its not a knock on you at all, there is a strong reason why dishwashers tend to not last more than a year or two tops at their position.

Good luck.

• Erik

Yes, he's unreasonable. Just do the best you can, or look for something else.

• Eva

Have you explained this all to your boss? Ask him which he would prefer - that you finish your work and he pays you OT, or that you leave on time and leave the work undone. He may need to hire a PT employee to help you on the busier nights. Make sure he knows that you're getting slammed with the cooks pots and pans at the end of the night.

No, You are. Stop it or quit.

• Lolly

That's why the restaurant business has a high turnover.

Ask your boss to buy a second dish washing machine. If he won't, start looking for another job.

• Erik

If the boss is that cheap, he's not going to buy another machine just to make this guy's job easier.

• keerok

You have every right to be annoyed but if you complain, there's a high chance your boss would find someone else who can finish the job in time.

No, you're not. You should tell him all you've said in your post and tell him to consider your awful position specially with the dishwasher, ask him to get an industrial one immediately.

• equal

no you just work hard and one day you will be a boss treating someone like sh** and enjoy it that's America look at Trump mind you his dad give it him still he looks good parading around pursing his lips and locking and loading of course its sh** you deserve better you sound a good worker you are at the bottom rung though