Jonathan asked in TravelCruise Travel · 2 months ago

Im going on a cruise! What unique items should I bring that YOU wish you brought or awesome ideas you wish you thought of before YOUR cruise?

I m going on a 7 days cruise on the Allure of the Seas very very soon :) Any tips or ideas from seasoned cruisers would be very welcome!

• AJ

A USB charging tower. uses only one outlet but you can charge up to 6 devices.

Electrical strips. There is only 2 outlets in cabin. 1 in bathroom and 1 on the table.

Your camera, a hat to wear on shore, books to read, your cell phone (set or airplane mode except on shore. Carnival, my favorite cruise line, has an ap you can use to find out what is happening on the ship) I go to google maps and print maps of ports where we stop. I highlight the nearest post office because I like to send cards home that have colorful foreign postage stamps on them. I also bring my laptop computer but don't sign up for Wifi. I have other stuff on it to amuse me in the evening. Don't bring a hair dryer, candles or your own alcohol.

Over the counter medicines also check about the onboard app Carnival told me I would be charged WiFi fees if I used it.

a kit with over the counter medicines that you might need is a good thing to remember. anti acids, pain relievers, band aids, what ever you think might be useful. I just know if you need to purchase those on ship it will be expensive.

comfortable shoes.

I was on the Allure this past January.  My kids never know what to get me for Christmas, this year, they got me a gift card from Starbucks.  The Starbucks on the ship has the same prices as regular Starbucks.  Anyway, it was nice being able to get iced coffees at better than ship prices.  

We cruise a lot.  A few things we bring: A wall adapter with multiple USB ports. Plugs are very limited on cruise ships, so a few extra USBs is handy.  DO NOT bring a power strip, they will take it.  But you can bring a multiple adapter as long as it plugs right in the wall and doesn't have a surge protector.

Anything bad for you (cigarettes, for instance) is cheap on the ship. Anything good for you (toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, over the counter drugs) is really expensive.  So make a list of EVERYTHING you will need.  And put together a ziplock with Tylenol, anti-acids, whatever you think you might need.

I take a little blue tooth speaker. We like to sit on the balcony a lot more than normal people, and it's nice having tunes.  Just don't blast the neighbors.  I also use it as a white noice machine at night.   

Many cruise lines now have a system where you can put your phone on the ship's wifi to communicate with others in your party without any charges. I haven't been on Royal Caribbean lately, but Carnival, Norwegian and Holland America all have these systems, so there's a good chance R.C. does, too. Go to cruisecritic.com and look up reviews of your ship or the boards where passengers discuss the ships and the ports.

If you have several electronic devices in your cabin, you want a charging station that has several usb ports, and several cables.

• AJ

I was on Norwegian Epic at the beginning of July, and to communicate with others in your party everyone had to purchase that functionality, so it is NOT free.

• Den B7

You'd be the talk of the town if you carried a large potted plant with you everywhere you went on your trip.

Walkie Talkies. Using your phone to stay connected is extremely expensive with all the roaming charges. Also portable GPS that does not need a wifi signal so you can get around on shore excursions without using data on your phone.

• Artemisc

You don't need them on the Allure.  They have a chat" system. 

• LOL

Motion sickness patches. Ask a doctor for some.