Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 10 months ago

How do I get my family members to stop calling me a nickname I hate?

I'm not going to say it here so no YA idiots call me it.

But my family members have been addressing me by a particular nickname for as long as I can remember and I just hate it so much. I hate the sound of the nickname it is like the sound of fingernails on a chalkboard to me every time I hear it. My whole childhood, I've asked my relatives to stop calling me that, but they just don't stop. My mother is the only one who addresses me by the nickname that I prefer, and family has heard my mom call me the preferred name, but still they all just call me the name I hate.

I tried to ignore them, but when I hear it so many times, my head just wants to explode. What can I do?

You can take some deep breaths and eventually you'll mature enough to where you can recognize that with everything facing the world and young people like yourself that the way your family addresses you is fairly irrelevant. There are starving children your age out there who'd answer to any name. There are kids like you sleeping under the stars in the Bahamas who'd be happy to be called anything if it meant they had a warm bed to sleep in. So perhaps a bit of perspective is in order on this.

just ask them not to

Don't answer to it. Just disregard it and don't respond when they call you it.

Turn, look the person right in the eye, and say with deadly seriousness "I don't like being called by that name. I think I've probably told you that before, right? Would you please show me some respect and refrain from using it in the future? I would really appreciate that".

I wish you had given your age. Also, who are these family members? If you're a minor still living at home, there's not much you can do other than talk to your mom. She has the power to impose consequences on anyone who refuses to change, whether it's your sibs or aunts/uncles.

If you're an adult and fully independent, YOU have the power to draw these boundaries. Tell every single person who does this that you won't be around them until they stop. The hard part is following through on this. If you say that, you do have to leave if someone ignores your request. If you're willing to do that, this will change their behavior.

You don't have the power to make them stop, but you do have the power to make it stop being fun to tease you simply by not responding or acknowledging the nickname. Every time it is spoken, ignore it. Especially when they are using it to gain your attention.

Don't forget to fight fire with fire. Think up a nickname for each of your family members too, but experiment because you need to find one they really don't like and that others might want to tease them with too. Just be careful to not do so with the elder generation, at least until you are an equal adult.

• Nunya

They keep calling you this because they love getting under your skin. You should just ignore them completely when they address you this way. Only talk to them when they call you the names you want.

Tell them. But, keep in mind it is a habit so it will take a while to break the habit. You can help them by not responding to the name. When I was a teen I decided to go by my middle name as I hate my first name. My family though kept calling me by my first name. It took a lot of work but I refused to answer when they called me by my first name. Slowly over time they got the idea and called me by my middle name.

Pretend like you don't hear them when they use it. Tell them you don't answer to Bob, Jeff, Susie, Tom, LaToya or (the nickname that shall not be used) because those are not your names.

Stop reacting to it or responding to it when they use it.