How do I explain to my dad that I don't want to study anymore?

When I graduated HS, I didn't want to continue on to College because I HATED studying but my parents would not take no for an answer.

I had a great year and a half in College before things started breaking apart. See, I don't give too much effort when doing school work but I excel anyway because I'm pretty good at listening to instructions. It's unfortunately a whole different story in College because some teachers don't teach well. Most people don't have a problem with this because they have learned the art of studying and while I DO know how to study, it isn't something I bother myself with. So I failed a class. The year after, I almost failed another (I dropped it instead and transferred schools).

After another year in that college, I found myself enrolled in a new school with a brand new field of study to pursue. The first semester was pretty awesome but I'm now in my 2nd year and I feel the cycle repeating. I feel that I'm about to fail a class, not due to studying, but due to my absences.

I feel a certain weight whenever I think of school and it disappears whenever I convince myself not to go to class that day despite the repercussions. Problem is, I have no idea what to do that is even a little bit productive once I decide to stay home.

I now want to move on from school without getting a degree but I have no idea where to go or what to do or how to do it.

Thank you all for taking the time out of the day to try and help me. It means a lot to me. A lot of your comments was a pretty good slap in the face reality check. The culture in our house (if not the country) is much more forgiving than yours and it doesn't force you to be productive. I AM lazy and aware but it is this exact laziness that makes my work pile up and I feel bad for not doing them and at the same time don't feel up to the task. It's a vicious cycle I don't know how to get out of.

Also, I have be in college for cumulatively 4 years now and while I know I have learned some skills for work, I don't feel ready at all. I learned programming and bookkeeping (until closing entries) but I don't feel qualified when my friend asks me to do their business worksheet. I'm more of a show-me-how kind of gal and know I can do the work people ask me to and this is why I don't think college is helping me at all (aside from giving me a flashy degree to show employers).

tell him exactly that. you may want to go to a trade school. good luck.

Some carriers require a college degree while others do not. I know many successful people who don't have college degrees. The problem is most people believe everyone should go to college right out of high school and parents expect their kids to go to college because it's the thing to do. You have to ask yourself what you plan to do with your degree in your chosen field. You need to figure out what really interests you and move in that direction.

So in other words you are just to lazy.... Good luck with that.. Parent's won't support you forever..

I can't explained it to my father.

I don't see how your situation has anything to do with "wanting to study or not".

You don't want to make the bare minimum of effort. How is the working world going to be any different, if you have no motivation and don't want to apply yourself.

Your future just looks like a continuous loop of hopping from one low paying job to another.

You could always try this approach: "Dad, I don't want to study anymore, nor do I have any idea of what I want to do for a living. Is it okay if I just sit on the couch and do nothing, or at most work some dead end low wage job, with you supporting me financially, while we both wait for divine intervention to provide me with a plan for my life?"

If you were my kid, I'd tell you that's fine. And within an hour you'd receive a written 30 day notice to vacate. I'd hug you and say, "I love you, and you are an adult and can make your own choices. But I am not going to subsidize your life unless you are enrolled full-time in a university. We'd love to have you for Sunday dinner. Good luck and let us know your new address."

"I have no idea where to go or what to do or how to do it." That's what university is for. It buys you four years of parental subsidy while you get your shiit together and learn how to be a grown-up. If you want to skip that step, well, welcome to adulthood and start packing. Where you live and how you pay the rent is now YOUR problem.

Yes, the question is - how do you plan to support yourself for the rest of your life.  Work is not fun and college is part of work.  If you absolutely cannot stand college, drop out and go to electrician school.

• audrey

Go flip burgers somewhere for pocket money.

Cosider college to get a work skill to keep you employed.