Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 8 months ago

how can I tell if front tie rod is ready to fall apart? what symptoms would I get when driving , etc?

Update:

I was at a Toyota dealership this last week to get timing belt changed and of course the service adviser wanted to inform me that something else was wrong with my vehicle. and I went with him to the area where it was being worked on and him and the tech showed me how my right front tie rod had "play" and that he recommended changing it. I told him that I would think about it. but I hear it is easy to replace but I wont have time to mess around with it until another 3 months.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Car would tend to dart from one side to the other when you hit a bump. Very bad idea to wait 3 months or even 3 days. This can be very dangerous if the tie rod falls apart you will loose control of the vehicle and possibly kill yourself or someone else. You need to have this repaired ASAP.

• ...Show all comments
    • Lv 6
      8 months agoReport

ok THANKS I am assuming since I have not noticed anything while driving (like you described) that it is safe to wait until winter. when I have time to find out how to repair it myself!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 8 months ago

Jack the front end off the ground and shake the front tires left to right while watching the tie rod end where it bolts to the steering knuckle.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Phil M
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

If a tie rod end has play, it is about to fall apart. They take about 15 minutes to replace. Are you sure you don't have the time?

• L.N.
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Early on it will effect the toe-in when it gets bad enough and will start wearing the tires and the steering will feel sloppy. Eventually you will try to make a turn and the car will go straight once it separates, so count servere trauma and internal bleeding as possible symptoms.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

You die is the short answer.

• 8 months ago

The play would instantly turn into a sudden stop as the front wheel turns itself one way or the other jamming it. Sound like fun. Maybe you could "tie" wrap it.

• 8 months ago

Ball joints are serious if not more

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.