Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsHeart Diseases · 8 months ago

My heart beats hard and fast after eating?

After I finish eating , I become aware of my heart and feel it beating hard and kind of fast . Then, it subsides about an hour later. I’m seeing my doctor next month about it , but just wanted to see if anyone else has the same thing or what it could possibly be . It doesn’t scare me or anything , I can breathe fine, no other symptoms......

Favorite Answer

It could be related to potassium levels, or some other vitamin or mineral deficiency.

Some people have palpitations after heavy meals rich in carbohydrates, sugar, or fat. Sometimes, eating foods with a lot of monosodium glutamate (MSG), nitrates, or sodium can bring them on, too. If you have heart palpitations after eating certain foods, it could be due to food sensitivity.

While GERD or acid reflux is unlikely to cause heart palpitations directly, symptoms associated with GERD may trigger palpitations in some people.

High-sodium foods can cause palpitations, too.

That is actually a sign of a hiatal hernia. As the stomach pushes through the diaphram in a hiatal hernia, it places extra pressure on the heart muscle, and therefore, initially you get tachycardia. In severe cases this could potentially cause tamponade.

if you ask this question on healthtap.com a real doctor will email you back

• .

Don't hog out, you are overloading your system

• Mike

Salt will do that. Like using to much salt on food, or eating salty food like bread or pizza.I think you should have your blood pressure checked after you eat something, and get checked for diabetes. Diabetes (even type 1) cause a host of problems after a meal. It's an insulin thing often from carbs. Look into that,. it can happen at any age, even with very healthy people

You know this is a Q&A site right? And you didn't ask a single question.