Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicTelevisionDrama · 9 months ago

How do I start watching Doctor Who?

Do I have to start with the first show that is like decades old and still in black and white or is there a newer era of the show I should start watching? All I know about Doctor Who is that he (or she.... "it") keeps changing form every now and then. I literally know nothing else.

• Da

I think you can start at the beginning of any season.

I watched 1 season (jenna Coleman was in it) and I wasn't lost, at all.

• Betty

I love that show.You need to go back to the very start and start watching from the time when William Hartnell was the Doctor.There were some great Doctors such as Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker.You can stop watching from the time they introduce David Tennant as the Doctor.That is when the show lost all it's appeal and became laughable and very childish.

• Joe

It's a complicated show, and the way it jumps back and forth... I don't think that a systematic watch order will matter, much.

But I WILL suggest that your first episode be "Blink", with David Tennant as The Doctor.  It's an excellent episode, entirely self-contained, and will give you enough backstory to get you started with the series.

I would start with 11, Matt Smith. It's more accessible if you know nothing. Watch all his, then go forward or backward to 12, 10, 13, 9. then watch the very old episodes if you feel like it.

I'd suggest watching the classic Black and White era first, however, there are lots of Lost Episodes from that era that you cannot watch at all, because the footage of those specific episodes have not been recovered. There's an entire part of the show, where one of the Doctors only has one or two episodes that still exist, for you to watch, which have destroyed that character's development.

For further information, the "Doctor" character switches into an entirely new character, besides the charisma and outfit designs, (which are basically the same, besides maybe a few pattern changes, and some color changes.) every few seasons. So, for example, a single version of the Doctor might only last one or two seasons, sometimes even three.

And, if I was to be very specific with how you should watch the entire show, I'd suggest watching all of it, besides some of the weird ones that might gross you out, such as the one with a villain named the "obsorbaloth". (If I'm not spelling his name right, please correct me on that.) Overall I'd suggest doing all of that, if you'd really like the best experience with the show, the show has also experienced times where the quality of the show went down for multiple seasons, all because of a single change to the Doctor.

You should probably start with the first episode of a new doctor. That is when many of the main characters can change. It can get confusing if you do not know their backgrounds. There are recurring aliens that pop in and out of the series.