Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 9 months ago

Do social workers give medication?

I have an appointment with a social worker. I need medication. I suffer from OCD. I am not go to waste my time seeing someone who can't help me with meds.

• Layne

No of course not. They do help with consults. So fart speech therapists are useless. No help for me.

• Mark

Nope. However, a lot of them work in doctor's offices and can suggest to a doctor to write a prescription for you. But you know, a LOT of problems can't be solved by popping a pill and a change in attitude is what it needed. For instance, there is no drug to keep you (well, except for making your a zombie) from "catastophising" things (this is an over-the-top example, but that means something like thinking "if I don't buy milk today, Earth will descend into nuclear war".)

• Spin

NOPE, no, no, no

No, social workers do not prescribe medications. Social workers are "case managers" - they manage to ensure that a patient has access to multiple disciplines, such as psychologists, psychiatrists, speech therapists, and many other social interventions as might be appropriate to each individual case. Your insurance company generally requires a social worker in order to determine what other professionals are needed. That said, you also have what are termed "licensed clinical social workers" which are what most people consider "therapists". Whether these individuals can prescribe medications is dependent upon state law.

No, they are not doctor's

• Tulip

NO THEY DO NOT!!!!!

• Murzy

Only an MD like a Psychiatrist can issue meds.

• Kelly

Some clinical psychologists can.

• Eva

A social worker is not a medical professional and therefore cannot prescribe meds.

No they can't legally give medicine. They can however get you a referral to a Dr or Nurse practitioner that can.

• Lili

Even nurse practitioners have to work under the supervision of a physician, who signs off on the prescriptions.

• Kelly

No, a social worker does not give medications. They are not a medical professional.

For meds, you need to see a Physician.