Is my University diploma valid if it has a spelling mistake?

They've misspelled my country of birth. Is this a problem or not?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

It may be 'valid' but it could still cause you problems further down the line. Best advice, ask the university to replace it with a correct version.

• GEEGEE
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes. For the most part diplomas are decorative certificates that don't have anything to do with the completion of the course of study.

• 2 months ago

University degrees generally do not include country of birth, or citizenship. Your personal info such as name, birthdate & place, Social Security Number or your country's identification number, etc, is generally included in university records & recorded on the transcript, not the diploma. One has to wonder which "university" you claim to have graduated from.

However, if there is any error, e.g. misspelling, on university records, transcript, diploma/degree, etc., you must have them correct the document & replace it.

• 2 months ago

The paper is just that a fancy piece of paper--they actual "degree" is on your transcripts-the real legal one that counts. But who has place of birth on their diploma? Never seen that, and anyone who needs to verify this either asks for a transcript or contacts the uni.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • MS
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I've never seen a country of birth listed on a college diploma. But if there is something incorrect, then you should request that they correct it.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Which University is this? They don't have countries of birth on them.

• 2 months ago

Why would your university diploma have your country of birth on it?

I've seen them with the country of the university on them, but if that's the case, they'd hardly misspell it.

If the entire diploma is in Latin, the spellings might be different.

• 2 months ago

The validity of it would always come into question without having it corrected.

• David
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It should be replaced or otherwise it could be considered as a forgery.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Tell them to replace it

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.