Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentFood Service · 9 months ago

How to quit a job but I barely started? :(?

I am an 18 year old that barely got her first job as a hostess! but I’m not really a hostess I am training more for takeout which I did not sign up for, I told the general manager but they need people there! :( so now I am having to work it :( and I just don’t think I have the skill set being I wanted a more chill job because I do go to college. And they have me working 4 days a week on my own for the first time! On their busiest nights which is the weekend and I use those days to study and do hw! and I didn’t want those days but I still got them :( so I’m frustrated! And very stressed :( but what makes this situation even worse is my mom is the one who got me the job because she knew the manager! and they were close friends so I don’t really know what to do! But this job is causing me way to much stress and anxiety! on top of my studies. So I just want advice on how to go about this! or what I should do! Or if I should just stay!

Favorite Answer

Fess up, thank him for the opportunity, tell him the job is not working out; and you need to quit to concentrate on your college studies. [ FIRST - talk to your mom. ]

Source(s): Your education is always job 1.

You took the job knowing you would have hours...if the issue is that you are spending those hours differently than you thought (nobody would let you do homework or study at a restaurant)...then you just quit or stick it out.

If its the hours themselves....then you quit and focus on school.

You are in college...time to start making your own decisions...

dont do it !!!!

• Pam

The problem is that you started the job without discussing with the manager the hours and days that you CAN work since you are in college. Knowing this upfront might have helped you be on the schedule for days that allow you to study. But if you did not discuss this upon getting hired, how would you expect them to know when you can work? They will just place you where they need you. Unfortunately, that's what the fast food life is. Let the manager know that the current hours are interfering with your school work and advise them of the days and time you can work. THEN, do the job that you're assigned to do, even if it wasn't what you were hired to do. You have a lot of life in front you. You're just doing this job temporarily to get by.

You are free to quit your job whenever you want, as long as it works out for you and your family.

But next time you get a job, think about what the job entails before you take it. If it's not a good fit, don't take it.

1. they want you to work the weekend nights = of course, they do. It's a restaurant. They don't need people on Monday when no one is going out to eat.

2. You are working the take out window... that's got to be the easiest position there is. Someone walks up, asks for their food, you confirm it's all there, hand it to them, then they leave.

-- do you think a hostess is easier than that???

• kate9 months agoReport

I trained as a hostess and it was easier but thank you

• Eva

It would be difficult to find an easier job. Truthfully, you sound whiny and entitled. You're going to have to learn how to budget your time. Many others do the same. You don't get to dictate the days and hours you work. You can request certain ones, but the employer is going to schedule you for the times he needs you, which may not necessarily coincide with your desires.

• kate9 months agoReport

also I got promised that they can work around my school schedule in which they have not! I know most employers don’t let you get to pick your days or hours! :) but me myself got promised that since I am a freshman in college I told them that :)

If you don't want the job anymore just don't show up

Jesus. Just stop showing up. Or grow up & act like a 13 year old.

You give 2 weeks notice, and they may let you go sooner. (and stop with the ! LOL!!)