Tim asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 8 months ago

Why are sodas caffeinated?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • CB
    Lv 7
    8 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Colas contain caffeine because the cola nut contains caffeine. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kola_nut

Non-cola drinks contain caffeine because it is part of the brand (Mountain Dew for example). Many non-cola drinks contain no caffeine (sprite, 7-up etc). Caffeine is a mood booster so adding it with an assload of sugar gives the user a boost of energy and that is perceived as a good thing and sells more product - hence the popularity of highly caffeinated drinks like Monster, Red Bull etal.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • denise
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

I dont konw? But theres always been caffeine in coca cola.

• 8 months ago

Not all of them are

• Are they really.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 months ago

not all are.

some come that way naturally due to the ingredient, with some its added.

• 8 months ago

Did you mean CARBONATED or CAFFEINATED? I did not know that sodas had caffeine in it.

• 8 months ago

To make them more addictive. The increased demand means more profit for the marketeers and manufactureers.

• 8 months ago

Disclaimer: Below is largely speculation, unless when backed up with references. I do not have access to memos from soft drink companies, and can not tell you their intentions with certainty.

The usually claim is that it’s for flavor (read the ingredients list, it will usually say “aromas, including caffeine”, or something like that). Now, I’ve tasted chemically pure caffeine, and I don’t think it is added to make the drink taste better.

Instead, what would make much more sense to me is the fact that caffeine has addictive properties[1]. Well, at least it can induce dependence.

• Clive
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

They aren't all caffeinated. If they are, it's part of the recipe.

• 8 months ago

So they can taste gud

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.