Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 months ago

Where's do athiests get their morals and good qualities from if they have no Bible for guidance?

• bubba

I get mine from the back of a corn flakes box , Do no Harm , it is pretty simple really

• Nicholas8 months agoReport

Lucky Charms. those little marshmellows tell a damn good story.

Atheist here. I get my morals and good qualities from life experience, that's the best way I can put it. Growing up and being around people, seeing different things, etc., you develop an understanding about the world and life itself.

For instance, I didn't come to the conclusion that stealing or murder is wrong because I was told so.

I recognized the effects of such an act and associated it with being bad.

I don't give to charity because I was told I would be rewarded. I do it because I care about the less fortunate and don't expect anything in return.

My morals aren't based on the Bible because morality doesn't originate from the Bible. I personally believe most people are born with an innate goodness as opposed to the Biblical belief that we are born immoral. People are able to deviate from that goodness and become corrupt (immoral).

Perhaps that is who the authors of the Bible are trying to guide, those who are more likely to become corrupted later in life. Creating a system wherein people who need guidance can seek it so they can remain good. Although how effective it is, is unknown.

I don't need it, but it's got some good teachings.

some of them have principles, but most of them don't except norm and fear that exists from others. Even if they support morality today, they say it is not necessary someday...

You sound like one who thinks there is only right and wrong based on YOUR VERSION OF THE BIBLE.... Maybe you forget there are religions older then your christianity.. and most are much better when you actually read the complete things and not just pick and chose some parts to suit you at certain times.

• Broton

The point is, furball, those moral values were in place for thousands of years before your bible

Some get them from their parents and according to the Bible all people came from Noah and his family and they believed in God so sad for those who choose not to believe.

Some of them seek to make their own rules and in the past has led to crimes in society.

Sad for them because they do not know this one established fact.

My mom told me when I was very little that your conscience is your connection to God and it is different than your consciousness which is your awareness of existence. Your conscience is the God given ability to know right from wrong. Even animals are born knowing certain things are wrong. That is why some religions know that animals are granted other lives. Animals have instincts which is a God given ability so they can exist and they have feelings too.

Broton: Mormons believe this and it is true.

We have read the bible, at least most atheists have, and therefore, it is obvious that Christianity is a complete lie.

• William8 months agoReport

What part is a lie?
      I'm search for lies?

Many atheists get their morals from their background, either directly or indirectly from family or culture, and/or from selecting what they want to do. Paul wrote:

12 For all those who sinned without law will also perish without law; but all those who sinned under law will be judged by law. 13 For the hearers of law are not the ones righteous before God, but the doers of law will be declared righteous. 14 For when people of the nations, who do not have law, do by nature the things of the law, these people, although not having law, are a law to themselves. 15 They are the very ones who demonstrate the matter of the law to be written in their hearts, while their conscience is bearing witness with them, and by their own thoughts they are being accused or even excused. Romans 2:12-15

Paul, in referring to "the law", was speaking primarily about the Law given to the Israelites through Moses. However, the kingly law that belongs to Christ applies to all who want to approach their Creator, who is the Father of Jesus Christ. (James 2:8; Matthew 22:37-39)

So those who do not acknowledge God's authority to define what is right and wrong are at a disadvantage because their choices can judge them adversely if they are not in harmony with God's righteousness.

God our Creator is still the judge, through Jesus, whether or not the atheist acknowledges them, but the advantage of knowing God's standards is that one can be declared righteous by their respect for them.

But no man is perfect, but no matter what they SAY they are, the one who respects God's standards knows legitimately what good and bad is, and they will know what to continue doing, and what to make an effort to repent from and avoid practicing.

It is for this reason that God's plan for salvation as described in the Bible is far and away the most widely distributed message in the history of humankind. This is only one indication that the real and living God is responsible for its existence, and that it is worthy of respect and study.

Hahahaha..... If you seriously use the bible as a moral guide then you are nothing more than a dishonest moral thug. ANY Atheist is 10 times more moral than any religious person out there. It is dishonest to assert as fact that which is not evidently true.

The Bible teaches that God made man in his image showing that we had God quailties to love, reason, to be generous, and merciful. These are just a few of his qualities. Genesis 1:26 Then God said: “Let us make man in our image, according to our likeness, and let them have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and the domestic animals and all the earth and every creeping animal that is moving on the earth.” 27 And God went on to create the man in his image, in God’s image he created him; male and female he created them.

Even man's closest relatives, the great apes, show the beginnings of a moral system. In fact, some other social animals, including dogs, evince at least a primitive understanding of fair treatment. There is no doubt that a conscience is an evolved trait.

Source(s): Biologist