Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 9 months ago

Would Aids cure people with deadly autoimmune disease?

auto immune disease is were your immune system attacks organs

aids kills immune system

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago

Not likely, no. AIDS does not destroy the entire immune system. A person with AIDS may have normal immunity to a rhinovirus or measles, but become ill from weird diseases that nobody else gets sick from.

I wouldn't expect it to have much effect on autoimmune disease; and if it did, the vulnerability to opportunistic infections would outweigh the advantage.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 months ago

It's an over simplification of the immune system. Aids does not attack your entire immune system. It attacks T cell associated with the part of immunity that is used to fight viruses. It is associated with cellular immunity defects. The other side of the immunity is the antibody producing part. That part is associated with the B cells and plasma cells and not the cells that AIDS attacks. Those cells remain normal and can be over active in producing antibodies with AIDS patients.

AIDS patient are susceptible with developing autoimmune antibody production that can destroy their own red cells and platelets. AIDS patients indeed can develop autoimmune disease.

• 9 months ago

No. AIDS will NOT cure type 1 diabetes. I've been a type 1 diabetic since I was 2 years old, more than 64 YEARS and counting. AIDS will NOT cure lupus or leukemia.

• 9 months ago

This makes no sense at all.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.