I got diagnosed with non alcoholic fatty liver disease, should I demand an HAV,HBV or HCV test as well?

just to confirm if I don't have anything else.

because I've had fever and dark urine a few weeks ago.

I don't participate in high risk behaviors nor do I share needs or razors with anyone.

I live a solitary life isolated from society and have contact with only 4 to six people so clearly I'm not at risk for contracting HBV and HCV right?

could mosquitoes transmit HCV

BTW im a virgin and don't have any STDs not even cold sores.

should I put my mind at ease. are all of my concerns regarding hepatitis irrational fears. I heard once that you can get hep c from out of thin air much like the flu is that true

BTW what foods should I avoid for Mt fatty liver

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Pippin
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Best Answer

You can't 'demand' any test -- but being tested for Hep would be sensible. No type can be transmitted 'through the air' but HepA can be transmitted through food or water or close contact. It's also a benign infection, that lasts a few weeks and leaves you immune for life.

HepB and C and transmitted only through bodily fluids (and if you are young, you were almost certainly vaccinated against HepB at birth.)

Your doctor can advise you on diet. If you are significantly overweight (common for people with this disorder) then losing weight and getting more exercise can be helpful. Otherwise -- a healthy diet with relatively few simple carbs and a good balance of nutrients. (My doctor recommended the Mediterranean diet -- lots of fruits and vegetables and healthy grains, moderate amounts of fish, poultry, legumes and dairy, and not too much red meat.

• 2 months ago

What does Anonymous mean by "Hep C doesn't exist outside HIV infection"? I'm interpreting that tomean s/he thinks you can only have Hep C if you also have HIV? This retired RN says NOT true! Health care workers have been known to contract it from accidental exposure - needle stick, blood spatter, etc. Before testing was extensively done, it could be transmitted via blood transfusions.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

No, fatty liver disease and viral hepatitis are two different etiologies of hepatitis. The term "Hepatitis" in and of itself is a non-specific term to mean "inflammation of the liver". (The term "viral hepatitis" means hepatitis caused by a virus, which are subgrouped in to A,B,C, and D. Notably, C doesn't exist outside HIV infection, and D is extremely rare to find outside the lab setting.) Where fatty liver disease is shown to be responsible for the symptoms, We wouldn't expect to find viral hepatitis in the same individual, absent elevated risk factors for viral hepatitis. (e.g. exposure via a dirty needle, exposure to blood, sexual exposure, etc.). Chances are they have already done these tests to rule this out, as viral hepatitis is more common than fatty liver disease.

• hart
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

fermented beetroot will help

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

ketogenic diet has been known to reverse non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.

• 2 months ago

I wouldn't worry too much. I've been having a lot of doctor's appointments lately, and they told me I had a *bit* of a fatty liver (I don't drink). Did the doctor say that was contributing to your symptoms? I'm not a doctor, but I did a lot of research after the fact. Apparently fatty liver does not typically cause symptoms, and is usually found when looking for something else. If they didn't directly say that's what was causing your symptoms, I would definitely seek further testing. Meanwhile, the diet that popped up most for liver health was the Mediterranean diet. It focuses a lot on fruits & veggies, fish, olive oil, and lean poultry. You can Google it and see the food pyramid for it. I wouldn't worry too much about it! Your doctor(s) definitely want to take care of you!

• 2 months ago

You dont get hep C from thin air. Hep A is from foods, and is self limiting--you get better from that. Hep B is from blood exposure/fluids etc. You probably dont need hep A testing, you can ask to be screened from hep B/C

• 2 months ago

Check for Hepatitis A, B, and C (all of which you might get from food). Be careful not to over-heat or over-work or you might get excessive ketones in your urine. If your doctor recommends those other tests, do them.

• Pippin
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

HepB and C cannot be transmitted though food -- unless somebody bleeds all over it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.