How to deal with fake internet service provider calls?

i got a call yesterday from someone claiming to be my internet service provider, only i wasn't around or available at the time, my mother was staying with me and answered the phonecall, she told me it was an indian man who sounded like he was calling from a noisy call centre environment, he asked was i... show more i got a call yesterday from someone claiming to be my internet service provider, only i wasn't around or available at the time, my mother was staying with me and answered the phonecall, she told me it was an indian man who sounded like he was calling from a noisy call centre environment, he asked was i available and told my mum my internet was going to be down at some point because of hacking attempts......my mum hung up the call on him.

we knew straight away that this was a dubious fake call by people pretending to be my ISP company.

but i was alarmed that this man mentioned hacking, because it made me worried could i be hacked by scammer scum like this? how could they hack my computer? and how could i protect my pc from such attempts?

and how do you deal and stop getting calls like this? this is not the first time this has happened, how are these dubious people getting my landline number?

i did phone my ISP later that day when i got back and was available and they told me they had no record of anyone calling me from my broadband company.

i would appreciate any help or assurance with this question. double thanks.
Update: thanks to all the answers and help.