What used to be dirt cheap in the past but is expensive nowadays?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

Dirt. It used to be FREE. Now you got to pay for it.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Zheia
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

Buying a house, travelling by train.

• james
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Banana, pineapple, mangoes, other tropical fruit. Many times they are give away here. But go to America you can go bankrupt buying them.

• P & W8 months agoReport

"America" is 2 continents. They Grow mangoes, bananas, pineapples in "America". Pineapples are native to Nicaragua.

• F
    Lv 6
    9 months ago

Probably beer, petrol (gas), cigarettes and houses (in most places), have increased in proportion way ahead of wages and inflation.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago

Canister vacuum cleaners.

Now since they've gone out of mainstream market, they quit making them for primary sole purpose use. They do still make them But are just intended for a secondary alternative. To clarify what i mean is they create a canister vacuum cleaner, it doesn't come bundled with any tools or if it has tools it doesn't have a tool caddy. Most of the time they have this one hybrid brush/crevice tool. Hardly any of them has a power head. The cyclonic are worse than the bagged as they clog like crazy.

The very few companies that actually makes them for primary use would be Kenmore and miele which are very expensive. This is as of today.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

Dirt used to be dirt cheap. Even free, could homestead. Now, show me any land, anywhere in the US, less than $20,000/acre.

• 9 months ago

Gold used to be set price at $35.00/ounce plus a bot of processing fee. current price on market is just under $1500.00/ounce, was $1509.00/ounce few days back, drop $11.00 . Lead is now about $2000.00 / ton= dollar a pound. Used to be able to get 100 pounds linotype after paper printed for a can of beer, melt and cast bullets for target shooting real cheap. Gasoline when started driving was 26 cents a gallon for regular that had nice pink color from the tetraethyl lead..

• 9 months ago

A new Harley in 1957 was $3,000. Now, about $23,000. But you must recall, money was worth 10X what it is, now. My uncle bought a new '55 DeSoto "Firedome",it cost $3500, more than their house did in 1939. Now, that house is worth $650,000 because it's in Burbank, CA.

So, I'd say, real estate and electricity. It used to be dirt cheap, so many houses built in early to mid 'sixties were all electrical.

I love these old Westerns; 5 cent beer, 25 cent whiskey; a girl for a dollar, a horse for $35, a new Colt revolver for $12. But, a cowhand was lucky to get $1.50 a day.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Pretty much everything.

• Murzy
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Water .

• ...Show all comments
    • P & W9 months agoReport

I was on a well, the water was free. It cost $$ for the electricity to pump it out and pressurize it. Had Giardia, too, no extra charge...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.