When did playing sports become a chore or job?

When I was a kid kids played sports for fun and to make friends. Now it seems like most kids play to acomplish something like win a trophy or go to the championships. I am always hearing parents talking to other parents about what their kids have accomplished in sports. Why can't kids just play for fun?

1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Lots of times, Chris, kids take up a sport or sports because their parents push them into it. And by pushing, I don't mean just simply suggesting the idea to the child. I'm talking about what we in the sport or performance horse industry refer to as the "horse show parent" who insists that his or her child ride and win at any cost, no matter who gets hurt in the process, and without regard to the child's feelings about the sport. In essence, the parent bullies the child into doing it, or even worse, they try to relive their own lost youth vicariously through their child's activities. The results of this are generally tragic for everyone involved. What happens a lot of the time is that the child develops a permanent, lasting hatred of anything and everything connected to horses and horse sports, and as soon as they are legally able to quit riding at 18, they do so. There have been SO MANY talented young riders who have been lost to the sport horse industry because of this in recent decades, that it's hard to keep track of them all.

I can't comment much about other sports, but I know that kids who enter the major team sports like baseball, football and the like are under ENORMOUS PRESSURE to win and succeed, almost from the get go. That's because of the money involved in these sports, more so than anything else. And the kind of pressure to win that many young athletes face is one of the major factors that drive scandals, including things like cheating scandals at the high school and collegiate level. That's sad, but it's also reality.

• 1 year ago

It's a chore if kids are pushed into sports by their parents. Sports are great for competitive kids, but not all kids are competitive. Some kids are better off in cooperative activities where the kids are working together to accomplish a goal that doesn't involve a "win" or a competition. Examples are scouting, community or school theater and sailing.

• Suzy Q
    1 year ago

I'm confused. How does being proud if your kid wins a trophy mean they're not having fun?

• 1 year ago

It was always a chore to do

• edward
    1 year ago

Kids don’t play for fun on purpose. Pros make millions even if they only play a few years they can send kids to college and provide for the family stress free. For some it provides a full ride college education. It’s a chore and a job for some people because there is SO MUCH riding on them these days. Especially for the USA where school seems to cost a lot more than it does in Canada

• 1 year ago

It hasn't changed. And you would know that if you were a parent. Why? Because no parent wants to endlessly drag a child who doesn't want to play a sport to practice/games. It's a pain and quite frankly, embarrassing. Sure there are times when the child doesn't want to go for selfish reasons but that isn't the norm. And like the kids, the parents are competitive. They are cheering the kids on from the sidelines and want them to succeed. Winning trophies is part of that, but not all of it, and I think you just misunderstood that fact since you aren't a parent.

• Pippin
    1 year ago

How old are you? When I was a kid, 50+ years ago, there was plenty of competitiveness and and lots of trophies. And playing for fun. Just as there is now.

• 1 year ago

Cause generally speaking kids like to do other things for fun these days. The competition is really the only thing that's motivating them to go out and do it. Parents need a way to get their kids active and doing sports and when you say "go out and play" it's never going to work as well as saying "time for practice".

• 1 year ago

June 14th 2012, such a sad day for sport

• Steven
    1 year ago

It's because these over paid footballers and kids are looking up to them. Also it a guy thing to be competitive