Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 9 months ago

Can vomiting cause a sore throat?

I vomited about 3 days ago from a night of drinking and now am experiencing a severe sore throat. Idk what else could have caused it so wondering in general if vomiting can cause a sore throat? Thank you.

Vomiting can cause inflammation of the throat because it can be very acidic. If I know that I am going to vomit I would rather have some anti-acid mixed with my stomach contents so that it doesn’t hurt so badly on the way up. There can be mechanical trauma to the throat depending on what is swallowed too. Depending on how badly you try to repress the vomit it may end up coming out your nose and that is also very unpleasant.

Yes, from the stomach acid.

It certainly can.

If the vomit is acidic - which it often is - the acid will irritate your throat.

Even if it isn't, the retching can be pretty rough, and can irritate the throat also.

YES!!

When tossing up----- the gastric juices in the stomach also follow (with any foods or drinks prior to) this leads to inflammation, burning, and soreness from the acidic in the contents of the stomach. The esophagus has no thick lining to protect it like the stomach does. Gargle with baking soda to help neutralize the action occurring from the vomiting.

Yes, definitely. Gastric fluid is very acidic. It can easily cause oesophageal acid burns. That and the act of wretching.

I wouldn't say that the actual vomit would cause it but the retching definitely would especially if it's dry. And the coughing would defo hurt it.

Yes, from sore muscles and from acid burn. If you do this too much you will increase your risk of getting colds and flu and even of getting throat and osophageal cancer.