Kelley asked in EnvironmentGreen Living · 9 months ago

can Whole Foods really claim they stock only humanely produced veal? Don't veal calves have to be restrained to prevent excersise?

Here is some (non-sensational) info on how veal is produced:

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/f...

The biggest differences between animals raised for veal and animals raised for beef is that veal animals are a) slaughtered at a younger age and b) typically kept on milk or milk replacer rather than put out to pasture or fed silage or grain.

• chris

Whole foods buy directly from ranchers that raise the calves "organically" in pastures rather than pumping them up with hormones and antibiotics in tiny pens.

It's a culture that is growing widely amongst beef ranchers due to the decrease in sales from the bad reputation the old process gained over the years.

• Robert

Maybe they are offered lounges. Maybe they enjoy resting up before slaughter. Maybe they are delicious enough with just minor exercise. I don't really know the answer to your question. I just puzzle why you asked it. If you feel that whole foods is abusing it's baby cows, don't buy them and don't shop there. Allow others make their own personal choices too.

• Katie

Exercise does NOT come into it. The calves are NOT allowed to eat anything, they are just given milk to eat.

That is what I have learned about how it is produced. I wonder if they also sell humanely produced foie gras?