Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesWashington, D.C. · 9 months ago

Touring the White House?

Next summer I’m hoping to take my kids to tour the DC area. Regardless of who’s in the White House it is something I’d like my kids to see. The website said no backpacks allowed and there’s nowhere to store forbidden items. We’ll rely on public transportation so I can leave my bag in the car. It’ll carry my kids Epi-pens and asthma inhaler. These are things we’d need while visiting other areas. How can we handle this? Is this going to be a problem with other things in that area?

• MS

Ask when you apply for the tickets. We had the same issue of relying on public transportation, and that's why we opted not to do the tour. We didn't want to take the train back to the hotel just to get our stuff. But they may make exceptions for necessary medication, although they might limit that exception only to those items and still forbid bags from being brought along.

If I were you, I would contact the Whitehouse and ask what their policy is on needed medication. Start with the number on their website:

All visitors should call the 24-hour Visitors Office information line at 202-456-7041 to determine if any last minute changes have been made in the tour schedule.

I don't know if this is an automated line, but it is worth a try.

Other than that, it seems that:

Requests for the White House tour must be submitted through your Member of Congress in either the House or Senate.

So when you apply for tickets, ask the question.