Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 6 months ago

Would I be considered a theist? No mean answers please.?

I'm a 24 year old gay male raised in a Christian family, when I was little I used to go to church and always say my prayer. I still believe in a higher force, I just don't follow any religion and I'm not indoctrinated. Still I do not deny the existence of God.

• Favorite Answer

Of course. Theist doesn't mean you accept the Bible. I'm a pagan and I'm still a theist.

• That seems to be a very serious form of disbelief, almost blasphemous. You entertain that there is a God and decide that it isn't even worth pursuing. If you died tonight you would be asked: was I nothing to you !!!

• Jake

God exists. A person can know this with certainty by way of having true devotion to the Virgin Mary, who is the greatest of creatures yet infinitely less than God.

Yes. There are gay-affirming churches BTW.

You sound more like a "Deist" which is a person who believes in a deity, but follows no specific religion.

A Theist tends to follow a particular religion but the term generally encompasses all religions.

It's not about the denial of god it's about a belief in god, I do not deny that there is a god, I just don't believe it, that makes me an agnostic atheist, a theist simply believes that a god exists, it does not have to be the god of the bible, and you do not have to worship it, you just need to believe that a god is there. There is no right answer or wrong answer we cannot honestly know if a god exists, and which god it is. If you believe that there is some sort of god you are a theist, If you cannot believe the claims about a god you are an Atheist.

The only 'requirement' for being an atheist is being able to say "I do not believe in god/s".

If you can't say that you're not an atheist.

There are no fences to sit on.

~

Yes, you are. And it's good you can pray.

Nah - A Fence Sitter

As Nim pointed out pagans, tarot card users, visitors of psychics, astrologers all believe in a higher power or force. Just believing in a “higher force” can be demonic in origin if it’s not acknowledgement of the one true God.