Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 6 months ago

Bought used car and found $1500 in the trunk, what should I do?

enjoy your new found riches.

If you found it on the street, you would be legally required to notify the police, give them as much information about where and how you found it, and turn it over and get a receipt for it. You find out what the legal waiting period is and you go back to the police when that time has passed. If no one has come forward to claim it, you claim it and it's yours.

Because you found this inside property you legally purchased, it's legally yours unless you become aware that the money did not legally belong to who sold you the property. The only way you would know that is when the police come knocking and tell you that the car you bought was used in some illegal activity, and they would be asking you what you found. You would be breaking the law if you lied.

That's very, very, very unlikely to happen. Morally, it's a different issue. You know that what you found is someone else's loss. How you decide to handle it is up to you.

I have found lost property in the past, and how I've handled it is to run an ad on Craiglist saying approximately where and when I found something, and for anyone who lost something around that place and around that time to describe what was lost. In this case, I would get in touch with the owner and ask them if they are missing anything that might have been left in the car, and ask them to describe it. If you bought it from a dealer, get the owner's contact info from the dealer. Don't mention finding anything.

Enjoy the prize!

You bought the car and all contents, its yours legally.

You could contact the previous owner to see if they want it back but at the end of the day they sold it to you.

Friend if you found $1,500 cash in the truck after you have purchased it don't be an idiot and give it back! There's this paper that they made you sign called the as is certificate!

It says that you're buying the vehicle as is!

That means you're getting the vehicle as is with all the faults that the vehicle has and all the hidden assets that may come with it. I purchase a used vehicle 8 years ago. And it was disclosed to me at the time of purchase that it had a bad speedometer they made me sign the as is certificate. I went to the junkyard and bought a new dash unit. I disassemble the dash and I found there in the defrost groove a $12,000 Rolex Presidential. And I got to keep it because I signed the paper that says this car is as it is!

Sounds as though the Gods have smiled upon you. Be grateful, say thank you, and otherwise keep your mouth shut.

• DEBS

Your morality comes into play here. Only you can decide what to do. Personally, the legality of whose money it is would be secondary.

If it was from a private seller, I would contact them and figure out how to ask them if they may have forgotten to empty the trunk without telling them what was there. Maybe say you found some papers or documents or even just a bag.

If this is from a dealer and you did this, well, that dealer would likely just pocket the money. I would be more more careful how I discussed it with them. That conversation would likely be about how long they'd had the car on their lot and what they know about the prior owners.

I didn't see that money in the truck...did you? Didn't think so.

Sold you the car...which included all contents...that's now your money...period.

When you buy a car, you buy what's in it. The seller is responsible for removing their property from the vehicle.

If it were me, I'd hang onto it, no spending, keeping it somewhere secure, for a month or two, and see if the seller contacts me in a panic wondering if I found any cash in the car, because they can't figure out any other place they could have left it.

If they don't, you got a windfall.

ask the person you bought it from if its theirs and if it is give it back

• Mark

Don't be daft - of COURSE the seller will say yes. Even if they didn't know about it.