Anonymous

Can i reschedule my first day on the job?

Okay so heres the whole story. I just got accepted to this new job and they asked me to go in the very next day (Thursday) . I then receive a text from the company saying that my first day was moved to monday next week. Which is a holiday in my country and I had already made and paid for travel plans i cant miss. Is it okay to ask the company to reschedule my first day the day after (tuesday)?

I need more space

• Judy

Uh, what were you planning to do about that day if you had started when originally scheduled?

• Eva

You can ask, but it won't look good. You should have told them when you accepted the job that you had a previous commitment. Going on holiday however, is not more important that your job.

• You should have confirmed every thing and told them about your plans after you got your job.

Tell them asap and see if they can change your first day of work.

Tell them that it's pre booked and you can't cancel it.

You can ask but it makes a very bad first impression.

Tell them you will not be in town on the new date. They are rescheduling you, I think there shouldn't be a problem working around your schedule.

I worked for the state of California for 32 years after the person in line ahead of me told then he would not start until after Christmas. I went to work December 24th, 1962.

• H

If I interviewed someone and found out they were available after one of the busiest days of the year, the interview would be cut short and they would never hear from me again.

• Tavy

Explain to the company and see what they say.

Of course the two week rule doesn’t apply until you start

• Joshua3 months agoReport

Can you please elaborate the two week rule? I dont quite understand what this means

you might be better off rescheduling your flight