Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelOther - Destinations · 4 months ago

Do people still hitchhike in America or the hate-filled modern society has made hitchhiking obsolete?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Hitch hiking is still happening but at a much lower rate than in the 70's

• 2 months ago

I believe unequivocally that hitchhiking in the US is no longer safe. I wouldn't do it and I don't know anyone who would. Not only that, most people won't pick up a hitch hiker because of safety concerns. It's not so much the "hate-filled" modern society it is the crazies that live in our modern society. You don't know if someone is a serial killer. And I wouldn't want to find out!

• 4 months ago

Sure...............

• DEBS
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

That's a whole lot of ignorance if you really believe today's society is more hate-filled than any point in history.

Hitchhiking is generally thought of as unsafe which is why it doesn't happen as often these days.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 months ago

I don't see that we live in a hate filled world. I'll agree that some people are hateful, but they tend to be in the minority, yet their animosity is often quite apparent, so we take notice.

The number one reason people rarely hitchhike now is because we're far more aware of potential danger. It's a good thing to be trusting but not of everyone, because that stranger who seems incredibly charming and likable, just might be a serial killer.

• Mog
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

I’ve passed a few. I was picked up once by a stranger when I my car broke down on the highway, before I had a cell phone.

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Yes, some people hitchhike. It is illegal in some places. (New York, Nevada, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Utah, and Wyoming, and Federal interstates, and some cities). It is dangerous to both hitchhiker and driver. Public transportation makes it obsolete. 350 million guns in private hands, Approximately 38,000 carjackings occur each year (1993 to 2002 compiled data). There are infamous murderers of hitchhikers.

[expanded answer per comment]

• DEBS
      Lv 7
      4 months agoReport

Very few states ban hitchhiking. It is legal in most places in the US. There are laws about what roads you're allowed to be walking on (such as freeways), but that's a different situation.

Public transportation is no replacement for hitchhiking which generally is not where public transit is.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

criminalized. it's against the law.

• DEBS
      Lv 7
      4 months agoReport

Very few states ban hitchhiking. It is entirely legal in most places in the US. There are laws about what roads you're allowed to be walking on (such as freeways), but that's a different situation.

• 4 months ago

Yes people still in the US... But to be fair, there are a lot more transportation options in todays world then there was back in the 70s and 80s

• 4 months ago

I see them every day. Most are homeless stoners.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.