McDonalds. I’m on my probation period but I’m sick. Will I get fired if I call out?

My shift starts in 10 hours. I worked earlier today but already didn’t feel good. I came home and puked 3 hours later and still am puking. I started two weeks ago so I’m still on probation period. Will I get fired if I call out?

It's McDonald's you are expendable

Maybe or maybe they'll just stop giving you work. If you have to call in sick then go ahead, nothing you can really do about it.

• Sam

It happens, you are better off not being around food and people if sick. A good manager would understand. If its something that keeps repeating then that would a bigger issue of course as they need to keep the business running.

Depends on the boss.

Not necessarily. Better to call in sick than to show up and spread your germs to others. That would get you fired guaranteed. People can tell when someone is not feeling well. Especially in a food establishment, you should never show up sick.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.

Depends on how you are doing otherwise. The more notice you give them the better.

No. But if you call in sick a lot during your probationary period, it doesn't reflect well that they will choose to keep you on the job.

Probably not. It's in the best interest of restaurants to keep sick employees away. In addition, allowing you to work while you are ill would violate a health regulation.

• Jogger2425

When you call in sick, don't just tell them you are ill. Report your symptoms. Health regulations for restaurants may require your employer to know about your symptoms.

• Mog

Probably not the first time. But they don’t like it if you’re sick often.