Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 3 months ago

How do I get my father to have some sensitivity to my mental illness?

Best Answer

I think when people are insensitive to a mental illness, its because of their lack of understanding. Try to find ways to get then to understand better like have a doctor explain it to him or maybe sit down and explain in the most detailed way you can about how it feels compared to how a normal person feels. I struggle with it too. I eventually gave up with trying to get someone to be sensitive about it. But I dont want you to, only makes it worse when you add that rejection feeling to it.

maybe you can ask god to give it to him

You may not be able to do this, if he doesn't already show empathy and understanding. However, if he is willing to consult with a professional, e.g., doctor, licensed therapist, etc., words coming from them may carry additional weight. If you find you can't reach him, however, make your top priority self care, at all costs. Good luck and good wishes,

Stop wallowing in self pity. Get a grip and get a life. Get a job earn some money and enjoy achieving.

Some people can't develop any sympathy until they experience something for themselves, if they ever do.