Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleFashion & Accessories · 3 months ago

why do we need to use hat pins to stick in hats ?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago
    Best Answer

We don t need them and haven t needed them since some whippersnapper introduced those infernal horseless carriages at the 1896 world s fair. The peak for hat pins as a fashion item was i the late 1800 s. Once the war to end all wars was over and the 1920 s roared in hat pins were seldom used for anything other than decoration -although there was a revival of functional hat pins in the late 40 s early 50 s. Hat pins need lots of piled high hair to pin into and most women no longer have huge "Gibson Girl" updo s or 1940 s rolls. At this point in time hatpins are merely for decoration and serve no function. Since the 1950 s hats have petersham bands on the inside and to keep a hat steady. On a windy day you use small clip, combs or bobby pins to invisibly secure the band inside your hat to your hair.

• 3 months ago

You can't use hat pins unless your hair is 'up' in big enough chunks to stick a pin through.

• 3 months ago

They catch onto your hair and stop your hat blowing off. So if you put the pin in, under a big chunk of hair, then out again, it works. When I was a kid, I thought women drove the pin right through their scalp.

• 3 months agoReport

my friend uses a lightweight scarf to tie over her hat and around her chin to stop very strong winds blowing off her hat.
      it works very well.

• kelvin
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

so they stay on your head

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 months ago

To help hold the hat in the proper position on the head.

• 3 months ago

They were to pin a small hat or a bar worn at an angle in place. Watch an old black and white.movie. all ladies wore all kinds of hats. Some would not stay in place on their own.

• 3 months ago

i guess they dont fit...................

• kristy
    Lv 6
    3 months ago

Well you don’t want to use clothes pins

• 3 months ago

To keep your brain from falling

• audrey
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Nobody wears hats anymore.

• 3 months ago

To keep them from blowing away!

But it won't work, unless your hair is in an up-do position, to support the pins.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.